Amazing Teacher! | Teen Ink

Amazing Teacher!

By AlexM. SILVER, Skokie, Illinois
AlexM. SILVER, Skokie, Illinois

Dear Mr. Berlinghof,

Over the last few years, you greatly influenced my life. The time spent in your class also caused me to gain admiration and appreciation for you. I believe you definitely deserve the Teacher of the Year Award!

As a fifth grader, I felt nervous walking into the band room for the first time. I knew nothing about music, notes, or those chords we always discuss. However, over the years, I developed my talent for playing trombone. Now, I play long songs flooded with triplets, high notes, and tricky rhythms. You influenced me to continue playing music, even when it seemed impossible; this year, you even encouraged me to participate in the IGSMA contest! Without you, I would not have the ability and confidence to play at the contest. Because of your influence, I may continue playing trombone in high school.

I appreciate you helping me and others outside of band. Recently, you really helped me on the trip to Springfield and Saint Louis. Luckily, I placed in your group for the tours. I asked many questions, but you helped answer many of them. You helped me multiple times during school, even outside of band.  I appreciate you helping our band in ways you do not need to do; for example, you bought musical spoons with your own money.

I admire the work you do for band and other events. Band director is the most unique and possibly most difficult position in our school. Helping students learn something totally new presents a great difficulty. Dedication allows you to work above your job by organizing trips, like the trip to Washington, D.C. this year, and our multiple band field trips!

Thank You,

I really enjoyed writing a letter to this amazing teacher. He works so hard every day!

AlexM. SILVER said...
AlexM. SILVER, Skokie, Illinois
Yes, Editor's choice! I'm too good...