Mrs.Blum Educator of the Year Award | Teen Ink

Mrs.Blum Educator of the Year Award

March 23, 2016
By Andrew_hudson15 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Andrew_hudson15 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
3 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Mrs. Lindsay Blum 
Skyline Middle School

I would like to nominate Mrs.Blum for the Educator of the Year Award. Mrs.Blum was my 8th grade English teacher at Brandywine Springs School. She was the most caring and helpful teacher I have ever had in my life. In addition, she was a great teacher to be around and to learn from.

Reading was a very difficult topic for me in 8th grade. I was never really interested in reading until I joined Mrs.Blum’s class where she inspired me to find a genre of books I enjoyed, and I started reading for fun. Mrs.Blum would take time out of her day to help find a book for anyone who needed one. Everytime she picked out a book for me I end up falling in love with it. She knew my interests and could pick out a book that she I knew I would like. This made my life a lot easier, and I am grateful for all Mrs.Blum has done for me. Mrs.Blum would also make sure everyone understood the topic before moving on, and if you didn’t understand, she would either re-explain the topic or talk to you one-on-one.

Mrs.Blum’s attitude would help me get through my day. Everyday, no matter what was going on in her personal life, she always had a smile on her face. Mrs.Blum also would make boring topics fun. She would have us do learning activities to get us up and moving but still learning at the same time. It was a very engaging class and that’s the class I need to thrive in. I can’t be in a class where the teacher doesn’t make the work engaging because I will not be able to focus. Mrs.Blum made the class engaging by being excited about the work we had in front of us and teaching with enthusiasm. A lot of teachers I have had in the past can’t compare to Mrs.Blum’s enthusiasm.

Mrs.Blum was also always there for anyone who needed to talk about anything. Whether it was about English or it was something personal, she would listen to you and try to help in anyway possible. Mrs.Blum transformed me into a better writer and overall a better student in English. I improved so much as a writer since the beginning of the year to the end because of the helpful tips Mrs.Blum gave me.

Overall, Mrs.Blum was one of the best teachers I have ever had and that is why I think she should be nominated for the Educator of the Year Award. From helping me find books that matched me to understanding topics, Mrs.Blum did it all. I appreciate everything she has done for me as a student and as a person.