Bullied for loving the environment | Teen Ink

Bullied for loving the environment

By Kirthi SILVER, Marietta, Georgia
Kirthi SILVER, Marietta, Georgia

Only when the last tree has died
and the last river been poisoned
and the last fish been caught
will we realize we cannot eat money.
~ Native American Proverb

At school, I’m known as the “Green Freak”, the “Tree hugger”, the nerd, the girl who’s crazy about the environment. I’m amazingly proud of being what I am, and kind of insulted. Ever since I was little, my favorite color was green, and my favorite place, the earth. I created collages of “Green” and sketches of trees and rivers, and most of my artwork was based on the environment. I was in love with nature, I still am.
My classmates don’t really understand how much I care about the environment, the world we live in, our only home that the entire human population shares together, and really, the reason why they are here. To them, my classmates, it’s just a joke.
“Hey Kirthi” says one friend, “It’s snowing outside, is that because of Global Warming?” (chuckles). Really it is, I thought, snowing in Georgia in spring isn’t natural. The Gulf Stream Effect was weakening because of rising ocean waters, so that meant no more warm air to the coast of the North American Continent, which lead to more cold, which led to snow. I tried to explain.
“Yes, it is! It’s because the rising ocean waters causes—“
My friend walks away, ignoring. I get frustrated, how can I explain without sounding so nerdy? It’s a still unanswered, my question, and I wonder, how can people not believe in climate change, with so much evidence, shouldn’t it be blaringly obvious? The disintegrated Antarctic Ice Shelf, the extreme and bipolar weather, the late spring, the millions of pounds of CO2 in the atmosphere, the earthquake activity (earthquakes in Chile and Haiti) , it’s all so clear. I just don’t understand why people can’t see what’s right in front of them, or rather, what’s all around them!

While watching a video on Nigerian forests in Social Studies, trees are being cut. Hacked down and stacked on trucks for sale, it pained me so much, I really felt like crying. Across the room, a kid named Tyler taunted me, “They’re cutting down trees” he said, a wide, evil-looking grin across his face. At first, I just ignored it, but he got to the point of saying it every day, randomly. It annoyed me, and bothered me, and hurt.

Then along came the Axe Men conversation, the show on History that I strongly dislike (hate).
“I love Axe Men, it’s my favorite show!” said one kid.
I gasped, “How could you? How can History promote deforestation? And how can Discovery promote deforestation with American Loggers? How can—“
And then again, I’m ignored. What really bothers me is that none of my classmates have researched anything, they just repeat information from non-believers (of Climate Change) without knowing it. As my mom says “Don’t talk about what you don’t know”
I partly think it’s my Social Studies teacher’s fault, somehow I never heard her say anything to support Climate Change when we get into a class discussion, and she smartly evades my protests against environmental issues. Once, in class, I let it slip that I was a member of Greenpeace. She claimed that there were many “extreme activists groups” out there. She told this story about PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals), where PETA members threw paint on people wearing fur coats. She even mentioned terrorists into the discussion.
Then a classmate named Steven walked by me at lunch, “Hey Kirthi! My mom has a fur coat, will you throw paint on her?”

“I’m not a member of PETA, its Greenpeace” I replied. He smirked, “You’re a terrorist!” he laughed meanly.
I was already tired and angry and I blew up, “Just for the record, yes” I said, “I would throw paint on your mom”
Recently in Social Studies, we were discussing the oil spill, and many classmates muttered almost incomprehensibly, “Kirthi…Kirthi…environment”
A kid named Amir came up to me this morning and, with a smile on his face, said “I cut down trees! My dad and I cut down three trees in our backyard and we’re going to burn them later”.
In Art, I brought up the topic of Climate Change, “I don’t like the human race as a whole for not stopping climate change, for ignoring it, for destroying our planet”. Can you guess what I got as a reply?
“You don’t like humans?”
“Kirthi is suicidal!”
“I’m going to tell everyone that you hate humans!”
I didn’t say anything for that class period; I only silently fumed at them, how could they not understand?
What happens to our Earth will affect every single organism on it. Species are going extinct, animals suffering, and these kids at school don’t care. Instead they think that the only person that Climate Change will hurt is me. There are people out there who think that we (humans) and invisible, and those people are arrogant for not seeing the obvious, for not seeing that blaring sign right in front of them screaming “Climate Change!”
School seems a little bit more painful every day.
Now in Social Studies, whenever any environmental issues are brought up, everyone turns and smiles at me, mockingly or affectionately, I don’t know.

The fact that my voice was constantly being pushed down by my classmates, and it's painful to have no one to listen to you, so my inspiration was my love for the environment.

NLoomba said...
Oh my god Kirthi!! You never told me about any of this!!! You know what, I support you and think that the kids at your school who say these retarded things are idiots!!! Also, you're getting seriously good at writing. I've never seen anyone make me feel this way because of their writing. Keep up the good work!!!

ashleycsy_09 said...
ashleycsy_09, Moultrie, Georgia
Wow! harsh!

Mandy said...

That is so messed up. At my school we have recycling bens in lots of the classrooms, and most of the ones who don't have one keep a bag for recycleables that they take to our recycling pile (this BIG fenced in pile of sorts of recycleables that we keep at the front of the school to be picked up by a recycling truck). We also have at least a dozen clubs dedicated to nothing but various volunteer stuff like SETA, Be The Change, Key Club, The Way, ect. I wouldn't call my school a "green freak" school, but I'm lucky enough to not have to worry about these problems.

Just, dont even listen to them. I know it hurts now, but like I always say, will it matter in the long run? And the answer is no, not if you don't take their snide comments to heart. And know that, although it may feel like it, you're *not* alone.

Kirthi SILVER said...
on May. 25 2010 at 8:16 am
Kirthi SILVER, Marietta, Georgia

Only when the last tree has died
and the last river been poisoned
and the last fish been caught
will we realize we cannot eat money.
~ Native American Proverb

Aw, thank you all for your kind words :)

Disneycook01 said...
on May. 25 2010 at 12:19 am
Wow thats harsh! And I cannot believe your school does nothing about the kids that are tormenting you. You would think that with all the incidents in schools these days teachers would be taking a stand against bullys. Especially when  someone like yourself is so passionate about a subject that is lost on most students. Well heres my opinion ignore those ignorant kids and keep caring about the enviroment . Keep expressin your opinion about this subject because someday everyone will notice we're right. And when that day comes we will be the ones who strived to fix the problems not add to it! And remember for everyon that had a good idea there was always someone there to shoot that idea down, those that pusue their dreams will be the star, and those that let themselves be abused will always just be part of the chorus!

Daniela said...

I can completely relate! Although I haven't faced the bullying you have regarding my environmental concerns, I constantly deal with the ignorance of my classmates. The uninformed are many, and it's sad how common the "one person can't make a difference" attitude is amongst my peers. As the commenter above said, shame on your teachers for perpetuating your classmates' behaviors.

But remember that for however many there are that don't care, there are people that care just as much as you do. :)

Mrs. DeRaps said...
Shame on your teacher. Your peers sound ridiculous, but your teacher should have enough sense to not call Green Peace members "terrorists". Uggh. I hope that next school year is better for you. Maybe some of your classmates will grow up over the summer?