Back Roll | Teen Ink

Back Roll

By Joey Filmanowicz BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Joey Filmanowicz BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

The water paralyzes me as I plunge beneath the frigid surface. I swim over to the rope hoping my nerves will calm down. Every time is the same: get ready, give a thumbs up, the boat lifts me out, and I’m off. I feel the weight of stares. The spotlight on me makes me nervous, but gives me a confident smile. I’ve tried it before…but never with success.

The late evening water feels like a cloud under my board. It feels even smoother on my fingertips. The lake is a desert—completely abandoned on a cold day like today.

I cut out on my toes. I take deep breath. I say a quick prayer. Cutting back towards the wake I think, Ehh, what the heck? When I hit the wake colors of the rainbow blur together in one counter-clockwise spiral.This easier than I remember. This one could be it. Finally I’m gonna land it. Splat…disappointment fills me up. I take a deep breath, say a quick prayer. Splat. Colors spinning. Splat.

The pain slithers into my joints, I feel like an old man. Maybe today isn’t the day. The sun falls behind the pines—time is scarce. Friends telling me I’ll get it this time only discourages me more. But I try to believe what they’re saying.
Before the boat pulls me up I appreciate the silence of the lake. The glassy water. The warm sunset.
Thumbs up.
I waste no time cutting out on my toes. I take a deep breath. I say a quick prayer. The colors spin. This time is different, no splat.

I’m still above water, no struggle for air.

My friends scream.
Finally I can get out of this freezing water, and get myself a towel.