Born in the Wrong Generation | Teen Ink

Born in the Wrong Generation

By Rebecca Lutka BRONZE, Hoffman Estates, Illinois
Rebecca Lutka BRONZE, Hoffman Estates, Illinois

I wish one of these essay prompts would ask me what generation I really should have grown up in. That seems like a more meaningful question than any others I’ve come across. Honestly, it’s no secret. I was born in the wrong generation. My taste in music gives it away completely: I’m stuck in the 1970s. I dare you to go through my iTunes library and find more than 25 songs that weren’t written, performed, or produced in the 1970s. I belonged in the 70s. David Bowie. Cheap Trick. Led Zeppelin. Queen. That’s when I should have grown up.

I’m the fortunate girl who was born about 40 years too late. I should have been a teenager in the era of vinyl records, flower power, and glam rock. Instead, I’m a teenager in the era of iPods, internet, and (this pains me to say) dubstep. I dream of being the ultimate 70s teenager. Being an audience member for David Bowie’s last performance as Ziggy Stardust in 1973, covered in glitter and near tears at the prospect of Ziggy’s rock n roll suicide is something I wish I could have seen. I’d have been in Rockford, seeing Cheap Trick play small venues and going on to witness them make history At Budokan. That one kid irritated both my parents and next-door-neighbors by blasting any and all Led Zeppelin albums? That would have been me, responding to the “turn it downs” by cranking the volume louder and louder and louder.

Growing up in the present time has doomed me to witness my favorite musicians as a bunch of old fogeys, which is a complete shame. No one ever understands my nostalgic cultural references either. I always get weird looks when I say “far out” or “don’t let the man bring you down”. Only middle aged people laugh, which is completely tragic. My seventeen year old body possesses the soul of a fifty five year old. My dad is to blame, for exposing me to 70s culture since I was a toddler. I couldn’t be more grateful. While my friends listen to pop-punk, screamo, dubstep, and hip hop, I’m sitting there thinking “I’d so much rather listen to Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, or the Rolling Stones right now.” Sadly for me, they’re either old or dead. The culture of the 70s is completely obsolete to my peers, which makes me a lover of nostalgia.

Being “born in the wrong generation” has made me stand apart from my friends. I can take a more unique perspective of today’s culture. Granted, people my age don’t always understand my musical and cultural preferences, but at least I’m an individual. I suppose that growing up in the wrong generation benefits me. Had I been a teenager in the 70s, I would have simply fit in with every other teenager. I much prefer to be that one weird girl that was “born in the wrong generation” than just another teenager growing up in the new millennium.

blaire_marieee, Opelousas, Louisiana
I feel like I wrote this myself!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel stuck in the 70s and 80s and I don't understand what to do. It's like my body is craving to just be in that time and surrounded by everyone enjoying good music and chill vibes. I feel like I'm stuck. If anyone knows of any books, shows, movies or ANYTHING that gives you a sense of living during that time period, I'd love to know the names! Anything for me to dive into that will allow me to pretend I'm living in that time period

Fagget said...
on Dec. 30 2016 at 12:01 am
Wow me 2!!! I thibk i was bron in teh wrung heneratioon!!! But if you use the wonderful internet that us millenials have and not the 70s people we can find singers or bands with the same musical talents that your favourite 70s artists have, don't complain about how you were born in the wrong generation and fucking live your life as it is, the 70s weren't always what you think fucknut.

Vintage_Muse said...
I hate anything pop culture. I like to believe my soul was reincarnated from the early 1950's because that's where I belong.

Simon said...
on Jun. 2 2015 at 9:02 am
Ooh! Look out everyone! We've got a speshul snowflake on our hands!

Ziggb said...
I feel like I wrote this! I totally belong to the 70s and what most upsets me about is the fact that I will never experience a show from bowie, led.. My dad has like 300 vynils and all i got is my itunes

catty98e GOLD said...
catty98e GOLD, Spring HIll, Kansas

"I'm a freak, I've been a freak my whole life. I just have to live with it, you know. I'm just one of those people. I'm not going to change the way I think or the way I feel to conform to anything."
-John Winston Lennon (1940-1980)

I competely agree with you!!! I feel the same way!!!!