The Move | Teen Ink

The Move

By angdeluca BRONZE, Lake St Louis, Missouri
angdeluca BRONZE, Lake St Louis, Missouri

The Move

One thing that I never had to deal with when I was growing up was being the new kid. My family just liked to stay in one place, we were very comfortable in our house. To my brothers and I, it felt like more than just a house, it was our home. Every memory we had of growing up had been at this house, around the same neighborhood, the same schools and with the same friends.

In the spring of seventh grade my parents decided to drop the bomb on my brothers and I that would change our lives forever. The day we found out the news, the dark, gray sky had tears falling like raindrops from its eyes. The thunderous roars scared my fragile mother, but the weather had the same feelings as my brothers and I. My brothers bright blue eyes filled with water. As I glanced into Johnny’s teary eyes, they immediately clenched shut.

“Why are you doing this to us?” I cried.
“Listen guys, your mother and I have wanted this for a long time. We have thought long and hard about this and this change is gonna open up so many opportunities in your life. This is what’s best us, it’s best for all of us.” my dad confidently proclaimed.

Moving day quickly approached and no one was ready to let go yet, besides my parents. Joey, Tony, Johnny and I all sat in the floor of our bare living room one last time, looking out the window, staring into our soon to be, old backyard. Being dramatic was not usually our thing, but for the past couple weeks it was. My eyes closed shut, I remember my brothers and I a few years ago splashing around in our overflowing blowup pool, jumping like kangaroos on our trampoline and our last school picnic at our elementary school.

“Guys, it’s time to go now.” my mom yelled.

I opened my eyes, forced to face reality. The moving vans were stuffed with giant boxes crammed with our clothes and toys. The hour long drive seemed rather short this time, we had arrived. My foot burned as I stepped out of the moving van and onto our new fiery hot, rocky driveway. My brothers sat in the moving truck and wouldn’t move. My mom stared back at them in disappointment. My dad walked over to my mom and squeezed her petite hand, a grin appeared on her face and she squeezed back. I turned my head back towards my brothers and then up towards my parents. I was stuck right in between them, not sure what to do.

“Come on guys,” I yelled at my brothers “I’m gonna steal the best bedroom!” I saw three sets of bright blue eyes light up. Faster than a racecar, three boys zoomed past me and ran into the house. I smiled and walked towards my parents, now we were ready.

My brothers and I quickly found out that being the new kids wasn’t so bad after all and we always had each other to lean on if we ever felt lonely. Moving is a brand new chance to start over and make a new life for yourself. If you don’t know anyone in your town, neighborhood, or school, you can have a fresh new start and become whoever you want to be. My old house was a reflection of my childhood but, our new house was a chance for me to grow up. I could either be upset with my parents and not let go of the past, or let go and experience a brand new life waiting right ahead of me. My dad ended up being right, this was the best decision for us, for all of us.