Thorns and Roses | Teen Ink

Thorns and Roses

By ferry123 SILVER, Sharjah, Other
ferry123 SILVER, Sharjah, Other

My unnoticed grin suddenly appears at the tip of my lips. I began to close my eyes, only to remember that his spirit was much stronger than his will. For I knew him to be as loyal as his promising words. I attempted to dismiss the thought of his mischievous smile, when all I was truly achieving was desired failure. Was he evidently strong, or was I clearly weak. I began to question myself, as this new found friendship slowly grew into its most apparent misery.

Ever since, I had always been residing in the shade of my existence’s shadow. I was a restless victim of camouflage, made invisible by the inability to confront my most excruciating fear. I was afraid. And I was to remain a prisoner of this anxiety. That was my plan. Until one day, I finally met with my fear. It was dreadfully unexpected. My conscience was terribly shaken. My world had been invaded. Yet as I attempted to fight this prevailing distress, I gradually found myself unwillingly embracing his alluring presence. He came in my life with all sorts of colors. Gradually painting the black scars and melancholy away.

He made me believe that invisible things can be as beautiful as those in sight. I still admire him for this sense of judgment. Sometimes I could immensely sense the warmth of his presence. After a long while, I was able to sample, once again the tenderness of my sentiments. Yet I was unaware or rather hidden from the inevitable truth. I was endearing a stranger. My sympathies for him were only a perception in my mind. He was not seeking to change me. I was changing the person within myself. He was not painting my dark world. I was only beginning to feel that there was more to life than just black and white.

Once again, I could picture the prickles of the thorns slightly embarking in my heart, slowly yet painfully. I rest my head against the wall, my sight remains blinded by the sheets of thick green foliage, encompassing my entire view. Pushing me back towards the dark. The dark side endlessly chanting for my presence. I can hear them, those voices that were once temptations of the heart. I can see them, the pictures from my past, which I now remember as dreadful decisions instead of cherished memories. Then I command my frail body to quickly escape this unwanted desire. A flick of light instantly marks my skin. I feel its warmth. I embrace it.