The Final Buzzer | Teen Ink

The Final Buzzer

By KateDawg8 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
KateDawg8 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Dawgs and stuff

I didn't know that an eighth grade basketball could teach me anything, until it taught me the importance of a team, coaches, and friendship. Thinking back to a particular game, I remember everything clear as day: the hugs that were spread around in celebration, the ear-to-ear smiles on my team’s faces, and the relief of the pressure to keep our undefeated streak alive.
In the first half, the outcome seemed obvious to everyone in the gym. The opposing team scored 4 points for every 2 that we managed to slip in. We felt defeated and weak. Just before halftime, my team was in possesion of the basketball. Dribbling down the court, the guard yelled out, “Kentucky”. About to execute the play, we heard chants from the crowd counting down, “3..2..1”so my teammate threw the ball towards the hoop in hopes of scoring a last second shot. Everyone looked confused as we saw the clock still read 10 seconds. We had been fooled, and we became furious.
Finally the buzzer sounded, and we sulked off the court, embarassed. Our coach was so angry with us, that she smashed her clipboard against her knee, shouting, “play together, and play the way you know how to!” As she was yelling, tears streamed down our faces, we figured that the hole we had dug ourselves into was undoable. It was in this moment that my team silently decided that we didn’t want to be called losers.
The third quarter started off with bang. We began shredding their lead as we attacked every loose ball and sunk every shot. Smiles started to fade from the opposing team’s faces.
Finally the fourth quarter arrived, and we were going to make it count, it was our time. We had fought our way to the finish, but just as Yogi Berra would say, “It ain’t over till it’s over.” 28 seconds were left on the clock, and we were losing by three points. My teammate held the ball in her hands out of bounds, and my best friend looked at me and said, “Katie, you have to make this three.” I knew that my team was putting their trust in me, and I wanted nothing more than to reassure that trust in them. I don’t remember how the ball got to my hands, but I do remeber looking at my feet, just outside the arc, and the scoreboard that told me the game was tied. My shot had gone in.
A timeout was quickly called by the other team, and we made our way to the bench. Our coach unsteadily wrote our game plan on the clipboard as she was trying to calm us down. After the timeout, the other team stormed down the court at us, we held them to no points and the game was sent to overtime.
Like a brand new day, my team played better than ever before. Smart passes and plays were executed to make great baskets to add onto our score. Before we knew it, the time had run out, and we were the winners! I couldn’t help but feel thankful for the team that I had been blessed with. I realized that teamwork is crucial to attempt and conquer tough obstacles. Without their trust there is not a single doubt in my mind that my shot would not have made it in the hoop. Every girl on my team wanted to win just as bad as the next, so we all played with great passion.
My team, my best friend, and my coach were so supportive of me, that with great faith, we did what seemed impossible in the beginning. Our little team of seven accomplished many goals that year, only losing three games, but I had never been more proud of their hard work than when the final buzzer declared us victors.