The Game of Football | Teen Ink

The Game of Football

By Toneee SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
Toneee SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

Ever since I was the age of four I wanted to play football. My dream was, and still is to be a professional football player. I wanted to do this so I can make money while doing what I love to do. At the age of 8, I wanted to play in an organized league, but my mom didn’t think it would be safe because I was a lot smaller than the other kids. Though she did not want to play I got my dad to convince her to play. This was the beginning for my love of the game.

When I went and played I was in the pee-wee league for the Jaguars. There were four different levels, pee-wee, midget, juniors, and seniors. They were ranked by age, so it didn’t matter how small you were. The pee-wee league ranged from 6 years of age to about 8 or 9, depending on when your birthday was.

Even though I was one of the smallest guys there, I became the starting Quarterback. I had a lot of success at quarterback. I had so much success, that the coaches wanted me to keep playing quarterback at the midget level. This is when I really fell in love with football. I threw for 12 touchdown passes and had 4 rushing and we lost in the first round of the playoffs. I hated to lose so much. So that following season I worked hard to be better. I got a little taller, but still was one of the smaller players on the team. I worked to get my arm strength better and also my footwork. The next season we did not lose a single game, and won the championship. That continued on for 2 more straight seasons.

This year, I am the starting varsity quarterback. Even though we have had a tough season this year, I see so much potential in this team. I know that if we work hard enough and want it enough we could be a playoff team for the first time in a long time.

I love football because it taught me so much of what I know today. It taught me that if I want to be great, I have to work hard and have that drive. It taught me that your true friends are the ones that stick with you when times get rough. It taught me to sacrifice things that I may want, for the better as a whole. It teaches you leadership skills, and it also rewards you with joy, happiness, and excitement.