So High School Sucked ... | Teen Ink

So High School Sucked ... MAG

This isn't for the Britneys and the Justins, theBeyonces and the Jay-Zs, the J. Los and the Enriques of Garfield. It isn't forthose who have spent the past four years on top of the world, caught up in schoolspirit and partying every weekend. It's not for the jocks, the cheerleaders, the"playas," the preps, the groupies - you know, the popular kids. It'sfor the Janeane Garofalos and the Ben Stillers, the Wanda Sykeses and the ChrisRocks, the America Ferreras and the Horatio Sanzes. This is for the kids who sitby themselves at lunch, who don't have anyone to say hi to in the hall, thenerds, the geeks, the dorks, the "I'll-do-my-own-thing" kids. It's foreverybody who spent the past four years surviving under the mantra "highschool sucks."

Well, guess what? High school is supposed to suck.Whoever said these are the best years of our lives was seriously delusional, orat least didn't live past the age of 20. How can being lost and confused,searching for who you are and what you stand for, and feeling completely andutterly alone be the best? Sure, you can have some pretty good times along theway, but how will they compare to other milestones, like your wedding, your firstchild, or that big promotion?

So you didn't make the team, didn't get thatrole, didn't date that incredibly hot kid in your fourth period class. So youfailed a few tests, got fired from your job, and got stuck babysitting the nightof that major party. It sucked when it happened, but that's okay. As anincredible teacher of mine said, "Suck is the first part of success. It's ajourney."

And it is a journey. You decide the final destination, andhave to focus on and hit the checkpoints along the way. Graduation is one thosecheckpoints. You should be proud of yourself for making it this far. Too manypeople give up and drop out, turn to drugs or even kill themselves. They stoplooking for help, and don't focus on what may be the most important fact: Thereis life after high school. That know-ledge has pushed me forward manytimes.

You can't succeed without sucking first. Even if you have a naturalinclination for something, it doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.Success can be measured in money, material things, friends, whatever. But whatabout personal growth? Within a year, you may grow from being unable to introduceyourself to a small group to being the center of attention. You could learn tosit and wait patiently, rather than bounce in your seat. Maybe you'll master timemanagement, or the art of small talk. Anything is possible.

Everywheredoors are opening for you simply because you fought teen-age hell and won. Youare graduating. Whether you made it with the help of teachers, family,therapists, friends or you just got yourself through, you made it. Society viewsyou as an adult. You get to make your own choices now. As you make those choices,some doors will close. But remember, as one door closes, another opens.

i love this so much!

MegaDath said...
on Mar. 7 2016 at 9:58 am
Today's music are all bullshit...... A clear sound in song ( due to advancement in equipment) doesn't make a great music!!!

Tess said...
on Jun. 13 2014 at 2:54 pm
This has a really unique message, but I might recomend getting someone to proof-read it once you've finished.

on Dec. 28 2010 at 2:04 am
MissElizabethBathroy, Visalia, California

"Ridiculous!"

Listen to Sara Herr's songs on youtube. She has one about high school. "I hate high school, and if you liked high school you were probably real f*****g cool."

on Apr. 5 2009 at 2:26 am
Pamela_Rachelle SILVER, Eastview, Kentucky
I absolutley love this!

Ive never been really popular. Im only in 8th grade but im very scared about gooing to high school.

And i liked the begginging " This isnt for britneys, or justins..."

Keep writing. :]