Review of Fallout 4 | Teen Ink

Review of Fallout 4

By Yayah GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Yayah GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Oftentimes when you're looking for a game to play, the series Fallout will undoubtedly pop up. The series itself is composed of 8 games; ranging from FPS’ to RPG-like dungeon-crawlers. With so many games in a single series, there are bound to be fan favorites. Fallout 4 was released as the 6th game in the series in 2015 and is considered to be one of the more complex games in the series – you either love it, or you hate it. 

The game starts off in the year 2077, in a futuristic version of the early 1930’s – but the story officially begins when the news of a nuclear fallout is announced. The player is told to take shelter in a Vault, a series of bomb shelters dedicated to preserving human life past nuclear annihilation; where they are then cryogenically frozen for over 200 years. At some point the player's spouse is killed, and their child is taken; upon their release they start a trek through the hazardous wasteland of the commonwealth to save their remaining family.

I had heard good things about the Fallout series prior to my first time playing it – so when the opportunity to play presented itself I took it. Sooner than I would have thought I would fall in love with not only the cast of characters, but the factions that forced you to pick a side, that forced you to contemplate your own morals; however, the various flaws that could be found within both the game's story as well as the graphics made it a bit difficult to get through at times. 

Fallout 4, funnily enough, has four factions that the player can join. You can join them all or just one, but they all have different goals, different beliefs, and different systems that can change how you view the game almost entirely. The direct contradictions give the player options as to what they wish to fight for, some are good while others are evil; at least from an outside perspective — because upon joining one of these groups a story begins to unfold about those who are innocent and those who are guilty regardless of allegiance. This moral contradiction made me want to complete every mission just so that I could see the end results of my efforts. 

The game came out in 2015, so there are undoubtedly going to be flaws found; whether it's with the games missions or with the game itself it's far from perfect. At some point in time I have had to take lengthy brakes in between play time due to them. Other times the frame rate would drop substantially when in certain areas. At this point I have to actively avoid specific buildings just to keep playing the game. 

All in all, Fallout 4 is an amazing game that utilizes its unique factions to ensnare the players interest; but is dragged down by its various flaws that can be either avoided or simply ignored. Either way, I genuinely love it, and I would recommend that people play it for themselves before coming to a conclusion; and to Fallout out fans that have already played the game, why not play it again?

My favorite video game in the series is Fallout 4, not because of the story but because of the characters that could be found scattered around the commonwealth.