Facebook | Teen Ink

Facebook

November 6, 2013
By Seobin Sohn SILVER, Princeton, New Jersey
Seobin Sohn SILVER, Princeton, New Jersey
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Do you have a facebook account? Facebook is a social networking website that has more than 1.15 billion worldwide active users. To begin with its short history, it was founded in February 2004 at Harvard University by Mark Zuckerberg. It gradually added support for students at various other universities before it opened to high school students, and eventually to anyone age 13 and over. Facebook now allows anyone who claims to be at least 13 years old to become a registered user of the website, according to wikipedia. Now, it has an app in mobile phones, so everyone can download it easily.


If you are using Facebook or have used it before, you will empathize with its users. It is useful. By using Facebook, we can contact with friends without actually meeting. There is chatting, following, adding comments and liking comments. When one of your friends’ birthdays come, for example, Facebook send you a notice you and all you have to do is go to his or her timeline and post a message. How easy it is! Also, people can make a group or a community and upload posts, share images and videos. My friends and I usually post pictures and share them. Besides, people can find or meet their old friends. It allows people to communicate quickly and simply. Their daily life is changed by handy websites and apps.


However, there are negative effects if there are benefits. First, the privacy issues. If you become a friend of someone else, you can see his or her name of course, birthday, school, friends who also know you, timeline, where they were born and their location. If the person doesn’t write anything, you can’t learn anything but most of people do show their personal information. Furthermore, the more Facebook users are active, the less people have conversations. When I went to a sleepover party, we spent more than three hours playing with our phones on Facebook. Well I did too, but now I think we should have talked instead. People even chat with others who are sitting right next to them. Actually, 56% of people who haven’t joined Facebook said that using Facebook is waste of time.

Overall, Facebook has great advantages and shortcomings either. People should control themselves so they don’t become addicted into messengers like Facebook. My point is that it is a connection from people to people but Facebook can be dangerous or hurt you in many ways. Therefore, if you use it wisely it will be very useful in your life.