Allowing Teenagers To Vote Is...... | Teen Ink

Allowing Teenagers To Vote Is......

By Saidah. GOLD, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
Saidah. GOLD, Williamsport, Pennsylvania

Should teenagers vote? Allowing teenagers to vote is not smart. Teenagers might make the wrong decisions; they don’t have to pay taxes, and are just becoming mature.

To begin with, teens from 13-17 should not start voting. For example, they might make the wrong choices. Teens don’t care about who’s president, they care about fun. All they know about the debates are what they’re parents told them. And if people give them the right they’re just going to guess. Also teens can’t think like adults can. So teens should do what’s right and not vote if they’re not sure. That’s why teens shouldn’t vote.

Another reason teens shouldn’t vote is because teens don’t have to pay taxes and pay bills like adults do. To support my reason for thinking this is because teens don’t have to pay bills and taxes, so why should they get the right to do anything. They don’t take care of themselves; their parents take care of them. And then their parents are going to have to take them to the polls, unless they live close. Plus they could be doing more and important things then voting. Also, many teens are in full education, and don’t need to get caught up worrying about presidents, debates, polls, and stuff like that. And they’re not and independent adult. In conclusion, that’s the reason why teens shouldn’t start voting.

Also, teens shouldn’t vote cause they might not have reached maturity. To start with, teens don’t completely understand and they might be voting for the wrong reason. Their teachers might not educate them enough about politics and the world enough for them to start voting. Adults should be the only ones eligible to make adult decisions. When voting you have to look at different perspectives, teens should be focusing on different things. However, that’s why teens from 13-17 should not be eligible to vote.

It is not wise to let adolescents start to vote. For instance the wrong decision they might make. Also, paying bills and taxes aren’t for teens. And lastly, they might make imprudent decision. Vote. Why? Folks fight. For this right. It's not just a word: Vote! It's how you make your voice heard.

on Sep. 1 2020 at 12:59 pm
HorrorTeller BRONZE, Independance, Missouri

“Let your unique awesomeness and positive energy inspire confidence in others.”

I think they should have there voice heard but if they wanted to vote they would also have to give reasons on why they think that person would win the presidency

on Aug. 4 2017 at 11:37 am
never-tire-of-doing-write BRONZE, Concordia, Missouri

"don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that because what the world needs is people who have come alive."-Howard Thurman

I think teens should have the right to make their voice heard. Plus, as long as you brought up that teens are caught up in education, but don't most college students also vote at least once during their time at school? Though I think that you have an interesting viewpoint, I think you need more support for your points rather than just the assumptions you published here

NubianNaee said...
on Feb. 9 2017 at 6:06 pm
NubianNaee, Romulus, Alaska
Although, I understand what the author has said, but I entirely disagree. You just stereotyped all of the teens as something that all of us aren't. I don't appreciate being put in a category that I'm not "mature" or that my parents have to do everything for me, when that's not true. You say all "teens" aren't "mature" but neither are all of you adults. To be clear, we're ALL humans, which means your not perfect. Just as well I will make mistakes, so will you. Just as well I will make the wrong choices, so will you. So what if we may not understand politics, well some of us, the whole purpose of voting is because we have a VOICE. That shouldn't be taken away from us. We're given the one precious gift but not allowed to use it until a certain age? No, that's not fair. And to be clear I have "rights" their just limited. Rethink your strategy before making yourself look like a fool about your OPINION. Because barely anything you said was a fact. Thanks for making half of us who already feel like we don't have a voice fell like we don't have one at all. I'm highly disgusted you can feel this way towards EVERY "teen". Voting is about speaking up, to make a DIFFERENCE. Because if we can't vote than that means we lose the "right" t complain. Everyone has the right to say how they feel. Your no better than an average "teen" because once upon a time...you were one too. How would you feel if its was reverse psychology?

on May. 21 2014 at 9:25 am
DjakobUnchained SILVER, Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire" Winston Churchill

I completely disagree with this argument. Teens are required to follow the law and many laws are directed towards them. I believe 16 and 17 year olds should have a vote in elections so that they can be introduced to their democracy.

5254 said...
on Jan. 18 2013 at 9:58 am
this helped thanks

on Oct. 30 2012 at 7:07 pm
WarriorPuella, Denver, Colorado

“The difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make sense.” -Tom Clancy

Also, I meant to say this before, who's to say that adults won't make the wrong decision.  It's a personal choice; is there really a right or wrong, other than according to our own morals? Not to be offensive, just food for thought. ;-)

on Oct. 30 2012 at 7:05 pm
WarriorPuella, Denver, Colorado

I see what you mean, but there were two things I didn't quite understand/agree with.  First of all, this was written as a persuasive essay.  Who are you trying to persuade?  The law states that anyone under the age of 18 CANNOT legally vote, and I don't think anyone's trying to change that. Also, while the majority of teens are oblivious or don't care, I can honestly say that I am neither.  I watch debates with my parents, enjoy them, and learn from them.  I also understand everything that they are saying.  I know where the country's going, and where it's been, and I'll gladly discuss it with anyone, adult or child.  So, don't just assume that everyone is like that. Other than these things, I think you made some valid points.  Thanks for sharing!

. said...
on Oct. 30 2012 at 8:01 am
Some points of this argument are valid, however most statements that are presented as facts are generalizations. For example, "Teens don't care about who's the president, they care about fun". Although I agree that teens shouldn't be allowed to vote, this persuasive essay was not produced in a fashion that could've persuaded me either way.

on Oct. 8 2012 at 5:12 pm
ZombieViking SILVER, Streamwood, Illinois

Beware; For I am fearless, and therefore powerful.

Parts of this article do make sense, such as the point about teenagers not taking care of themselves and not having full brain development resulting in bad decisions and reckless behavior. However, most of this article, you offer no facts to base your arguement off of, just your opinion. For example, saying that a teenager does not have their own political opinion, moreover does not care is not true. Saying that they do not understand political issues is false. Also, I believe that the teenagers who do not care would not vote and the teenagers who do, would, just like adults in society. I, as a teenager myself, would very much like to have the right to vote and I am very intrested in political issues and which president I think would help improve our country. My views do not always agree with my parent's, nor with my peers. I know many of my friends who do not care which president is going to be elected, and I have some who do. Each person has their own view on the issue. I am not trying to say you are completely wrong, or that you are not titled to your opinion, I am just trying to say that you should offer a little more factual information in your arguement instead of generalizations that many people are going to point out, isn't always true.

on Oct. 8 2012 at 9:56 am
MarieAntoinette2014 DIAMOND, Scottsburg, Indiana

Isn't it ironic? We ignore the ones who adore us, adore the ones who ignore us, love the ones who hurt us, and hurt the ones that love us.

Same way in America too. I'm one who does I care about the President....

on Sep. 16 2012 at 8:12 pm
Quispiam BRONZE, Oakton, Virginia

Believe

I agree with you 90% percent of the way. Your right about most teens who only listen to their parents and act like they know all about politics.  Besides those people I used to live in DC and talking to my old friends from there now.. These kinds have full political opinions that, sometimes, are completely opposite of there parents.. Any way I think you wrote it well, although I agree with BrightBurningCampeador, you would be alot better if you were more subtle.

on Aug. 25 2012 at 11:16 am
Caleb.Andrews, London, Other

Multi vad, putini pricep.

I absolutely agree with your premise. However, there are too many generalizations in this. My parents don't tell me anything about political debates; I watch them. There are far more important things in the world than fun, and I realize that (it's common sense really). If I had the right to vote (which, again, I don't want), I would not simply "guess". It should not be the duty of the teachers or even parents to educate about politics. The most profound learning should be self-taught in order to keep personal bias (i.e. from the instructor) to an absolute minimum.

on Aug. 25 2012 at 8:31 am
MissInkslinger BRONZE, Lexington, Kentucky

I love argument, I love debate. I don't expect anyone just to sit there and agree with me, that's not their job. Margaret Thatcher

Most adults don't take voting as seriously as they should. I can't imagine teenagers whose main concerns in life are zits and boyfriends, taking the time to make a well informed decision.

on Aug. 3 2012 at 1:15 pm
BrightBurningCampeador PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon
This article might have been more convincing if it had been a bit more subtle. For example, you ended every paragraph with that's why teens should not vote. That just strikes me as rather heavy-handed.

on May. 7 2012 at 5:11 pm
I dont agree with most of this article but i thought you should know that the brain isnt fully developed until 21 years of age 

on Feb. 9 2012 at 7:26 pm
bookthief PLATINUM, Concord, Massachusetts

"Life is the art of drawing without an eraser." -- John W. Gardener

First off, none of this is meant in any offensive way; some of your points just hit me pretty hard. You claim that since teens are in full education, they "have more and important stuff to do" and "don't need to worry about presidents and debates and stuff" than voting. However, I fail to see how this makes sense. What's more important than the laws that govern our lives and the rules of the society in which we live? In addition, education is of the most benefit if one puts it to work. To learn all about governments past but to ignore government present is not a "full education," as you put it. You seem to think that politics and academics are completely separated. In addition, many of your points are not specific to teens. Should we forbid the vote to stupid, impulsive, or reckless people? What about people with trust funds who don't have to work for a living? Or what about people who can't drive and so can't get to a place of voting? What about people who simply don't care? Should they be able to vote? Think about it a little more. I don't necessarily think that we should give the vote to 8th graders, but some of your points degrade the generalized teenage masses you seem to dislike.

on Jul. 10 2011 at 10:13 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

I can't say I agree with you, but this is a decent article with decent supporting points.

But you really can't generalize teenagers.  I don't know how it is in America, but in Canda some young people do care about the government and who is Prime Minister.  The laws our government make effect teenagers, not just adults.  That said, there are also stupid teenagers who care nothing about government.  You can't make huge generalizations.

Archy said...
on Apr. 29 2011 at 5:19 pm
Archy, Honolulu, Hawaii

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone, it's not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel alone"
~Robin Williams

Youd be suprised about how wrong you are.

on Apr. 29 2011 at 7:29 am
ShattererofWorlds BRONZE, Swampscott, Massachusetts
i would probably take you more seriously if you used real words.

on Apr. 29 2011 at 7:28 am
this is interesting because, in the 30s the US government implemented a test one must pass to be able to vote. unfortunatley, polls used it as a way to keep black people from voting.