Smoking Life or ... Death | Teen Ink

Smoking Life or ... Death

By Fathima BRONZE, Albany, New York
Fathima BRONZE, Albany, New York

Smoking Life or ... Death

My dad is addicted to smoking. It’s horrible to think one of your family members are dying each time they puff. My father says he smokes because he’s always under a lot of stress and when he smokes, it calms him down. He started when he was about 19 or 20 and ever since then he always regretted it. That's usually the age where people get influenced to do things you don't want to do!

Every day, nearly 4,000 kids in the United States try a cigarette for the first time. And every day, 1,000 kids become daily smokers.

Teenagers and young adults are usually pressured to do stuff they don't want to do. This is called peer pressure. Most people have to go through this. When other kids do it they get influenced and start to smoke even though its a bad thing even if it's a bad thing. These are mostly new smokers who get addicted and start to do it every day. Almost all teen smokers plan to quit within 5 years, but more than 60% are still puffing away many years later.

I get it how most smokers do it for the stress relief and it makes them happy, but their bodies think otherwise. People smoke to have a moment to get away.

Smoking is a horrible action and it kills the body one breath at a time! Don't start and then regret it. Its better when you don't start at all! Your body is like a temple don't let one puff blow your body, life, and future away!