Bad Ad | Teen Ink

Bad Ad

December 11, 2013
By cbrandtk21 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
cbrandtk21 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Hpnotiq Liquor


This Hpnotiq Liquor advertisement is featured in an issue of Entertainment Weekly. The ad features four young women. As with many advertisements, this ad uses beautiful women. Above the women, the text “Don’t turn heads, break necks “appears. With that being said, the likely target audience is women between the ages of 21-30. The four women seem to be having a great time, drinks in hand. The slogan “Live Louder” supports the image used.

There are multiple persuasion techniques used in this advertisement. One of which is the use of beautiful women. By putting in beautiful women, this makes the viewer believe “Will drinking make me sexy?” However, drinking may not be every woman’s forte. Another technique used is repetition by repeatedly showing a picture of the liquor to the viewer to show that the viewer should go out and buy the Hpnotiq liquor over any other liquor. Lastly, the use of group dynamics is used by showing a group of women drinking the liquor. The “everyone else is doing it” or the “Drinking’s cool” bandwagons come to mind. No one likes to be left out and this advertisement encourages the viewer to go out and drink.

Drinking alcohol can be dangerous if not handled responsibly. By further inspecting the image, the text “Think Wisely, Drink Wisely” can be seen in small print. While the intention of the text was good, why not make it bigger? By enlarging the text, it shows that the company cares about the safety of the consumers.

The text above the women “Don’t turn heads, break necks” could also inadvertently offend some viewers. If alcohol is not used responsibly, the dangers are endless. Among them could be a broken neck. The emotions of the women in the advertisement contradict this notion into thinking that a broken neck or a more severe injury is nothing.

Perhaps it is not what is said, but rather what isn’t said. For example, how much is the liquor? The advertisement doesn’t say how much it is or even where to buy it. Even for the calorie savvy, the advertisement fails to tell how many calories are in the drink.

Though it seems like a great time for the women, the advertisement fails to emphasize the same thoughts for me. The advertisement uses persuasive tactics into buying liquor used by beautiful women. However, the advertisement inadvertently offends some viewers and fails to even use the simplest of marketing tactics into advertising its cost and place of purchase. With that being said, I’ll find a great time elsewhere.