The Love For Music | Teen Ink

The Love For Music

January 29, 2024
By Anonymous

With all the pressures that kids feel these days, it’s very easy for most teens to deal with anxiety and depression. We all deal with high expectations from our parents, teachers, and even our coaches. Adults don’t understand how hard it is to be a kid nowadays. With all of this pressure, kids are constantly looking for a way to escape reality. For most students, that escape is music. If you walk into a high school, you will see just about every single kid with some form of headphones on as they walk around in the halls. Now most adults think this is just because “kids these days can’t live without their technology,” but that is so far from the truth. The world is such a confusing and stressful place and it's very hard to feel like you fit in. However, with all of the songs out today, everybody has songs that make them feel a little less alone. Artists tell their stories through their songs and phrase their experiences that allow the listeners to really relate to what they are singing about.  Not only this, teens are able to connect with music in a way that makes them feel like they are escaping reality. Music has the ability to create a much needed sense of belonging in the lives of teenagers. When kids today feel as though they have nobody to turn to when they need it most, they find comfort in listening to music. 

Personally, I find it very difficult to make it through a day without music. With anything I do, I like to have music playing. I believe music is a magical thing that is able to make people feel so many different emotions. No matter what I may be feeling, there is always a song I can play that fits with what I might be experiencing at the moment. This is something that I feel many adults fail to understand. Music is able to make us feel all these different ways that honestly can help some teens get through some pretty tough times. For example, when I’m feeling stressed out about school and I have to study for a bunch of tests, I can listen to artists such as Drake, The Weekend, and Chris Brown to help me get through studying. Their upbeat songs have the ability to bring good energy and motivate me to get my tasks done. My mood can be immediately lifted by their catchy songs. Music is able to put me and many others in a completely different world that allows us to focus on our work but also calm us down. 

Not only can music help students, it can also help athletes too. When it comes to sports, I personally hate to run. So when I have to go running to stay in shape, I refuse to do so unless I have music playing. Many athletes find that listening to music while working out can be motivating and also make their workouts fun and enjoyable. Exercising can feel so long and draining when doing it in silence. However, with music playing, it is so easy to distract your mind from the workout you are doing.  I mostly enjoy listening to music that I used to listen to when I was much younger. These types of songs that remind me of simpler times can be very comforting and bring a feeling of nostalgia which I find the most motivating to listen to when working out.  

While music is able to make us feel happy and motivated, it can also make us feel very sad and vulnerable. Some people may ask “Why would you want to listen to anything that makes you feel that way?”, but it's not that black and white. Oftentimes, the lyrics of songs are able to express the exact emotions we are feeling. Lyrics can also be phrased in a certain way that makes the listener really understand their own feelings. Artists such as Billie Eilish and Olivia Rodrigo are constantly writing songs in such a beautiful way with lyrics that many people are able to connect with and relate to. I know that when I’m going through a difficult time in my life and I can’t quite find the words to describe what I’m feeling, these artists word their lyrics in such a relatable way that helps me understand my emotions better. It can make me feel much less alone knowing that even these celebrities are also feeling such complicated and specific feelings. This is such a comforting connection that really allows teens to feel less alone. 

Overall, music is something that teens find very important and special to them for several reasons. Whether it makes us feel motivated or helps us understand our emotions, music touches us in so many different ways. Even if adults don’t quite understand why we love our music so much, I think teens can argue that it allows us the ability to escape the outside world and connect with ourselves at the same time.  Although we all enjoy different genres of music, we can all agree that music provides a feeling that is healing to the soul.


The author's comments:

I feel like this piece really gives people an understanding as to why music is so important to kids and teens these days