Should Students Get Paid For Good Grades? | Teen Ink

Should Students Get Paid For Good Grades?

By Mariah Felix BRONZE, Bronx, New York
Mariah Felix BRONZE, Bronx, New York

Picture this: getting money to buy that new pair of sneakers you want if you do well on that test. Do you think students should get paid for good grades? In my opinion there are three reasons I think students should get paid for good grades. One of them is more focus on school. Second reason is they love money so they’ll do what they have to, to get the money they want. Third, reason they’ll have better behavior.
Students will focus more on school if they know they’re getting paid for doing their work, homework etc. I know if I were getting paid for doing well in school I would try my hardest on everything to get money of my own that I earned from school. Focus is a big thing in school, if you don’t focus on your work paying attention you won’t know what to do if you don’t focus to get that good grade you want.
Kids of all ages love money they reason they do is because they’ll want to have their own instead of always asking their parents. Because they have money of their own to spend and their parents can’t tell them anything about how they spend their money. When I have my own money I say my mom can’t tell me anything because it’s my money not hers I could do whatever I want with my money , that I earned . Every kid will love to money of their own.
Do you have students in your school who misbehave? But love to get things from their parents? Should those kids get paid? What should they do? Work harder in school and behave so they can get new things. I think that kids would behave better if they know money was involved in school and they were getting paid for good grades. In My opinion I mean money is very popular some people can’t live without it , kids LOVE money so that they can get what they want . Students should get paid for good grades.

The reason I wrote this peice is to persuade not only you but other people to put there opinion in about should students get paid for good grades . My opinion I feel they should. What about yours?

Mateo1514 GOLD said...
on Apr. 19 2019 at 6:38 am
Mateo1514 GOLD, Asuncion, Other

"Do as you please, learn how you want, but always write with your heart." (Mateo Conde)

Parents have jobs, students have jobs too, it your job, as a student, to work hard, no matter if you get money or not. Good job though

AW4PS4 said...
on Mar. 14 2017 at 6:02 pm
AW4PS4, Fort Wayne, Indiana

Call of Duty Advanced Warfare is better on playstation 4.

That would be a miricale if we got paid for good grades but will the school give us the money or will our parents give us the money?

Big daddy said...
on Jan. 6 2017 at 1:06 pm
@HBalert shut up

Mik52712207 said...
on Jun. 1 2016 at 1:16 pm
HBAwriter you are wrong because what will keep them motivated is ther own kids and job

Mik52712207 said...
on Jun. 1 2016 at 1:13 pm
There are programs like the Sparks program or the pay-for-grades program

Edubs SILVER said...
on Mar. 29 2016 at 10:56 pm
Edubs SILVER, West Jordan, Utah

"But there's a hope waiting for you in the dark, you should know you're beautiful just the way you are. And you don't have to change a thing the world could change its heart. No scars to your beautiful, we're stars and we're beautiful." - Alessia

yeah... but where is the money coming from, where are they getting this money to give to the students? How are the schools gonna pay money to like a thousand kids?

bren said...
on Jan. 12 2016 at 7:37 pm
@HBAwriter you are wrong, because paying for good work prepares kids for adult life, so they will know that you get rewarded for doing something well, and you don't get rewarded for doing something poorly, it's the same as in adult life, where if you do a job well, then you get a good payjob, whereas if you do something poorly, then you learn, "Oh, I should do this better next time.

HBAwriter said...
on Nov. 4 2015 at 5:38 pm
HBAwriter, Goodyear, Arizona
I disagree. In the future, your parents aren't going to be there guiding you every step of the way, or monitoring your every move for that matter. As you grow older, one needs to learn to be self-reliant and independent. They need to learn to persevere without one's encouraging words and they need to live up to their full ability. Your parents do all that they can do for you, and the least you can do is give them something to be proud of. As @great said, it would be a waste of money. I for one have never gotten a B, and I don't ever get paid; however, my mom treats me well. Well, that is my belief and I hope you understand where I am coming from.

Gilliang115 said...
on Sep. 24 2015 at 6:57 pm
Ily a billi Abby

on Sep. 15 2015 at 10:38 pm
Please keep writing, you are just one of those rare voices out there that shouldn't keep to themselves! Poetry is the outlet from one soul to anouther and Rachel, sweetie you just fed mine :)

NoName said...
on May. 7 2015 at 1:53 pm
Think about it if the impoverished students got money for their good grades maybe it would help them out. They could buy food and clothes and more. WE SHOULD GET PAID FOR GOOD GRADES!!

great BRONZE said...
on Apr. 7 2015 at 7:38 pm
great BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia

My favorite animal is steak.

If parents pay- What about the poorer kids? (21% of school-age kids lived in poverty in 2012) Also, parents CAN decide how the child spends the money until he/she turns 18, I'm pretty sure. If schools pay- This would be a waste of money, in my opinion. What about actually making the education higher quality? The money could go to making a cleaner school, updating technology, decreasing class sizes, etc. I have never gotten a B, and I've never been paid for doing well or gotten an allowance. There are motivated people, and there are ones that don't care, and I don't believe handing out a few dollars would suddenly convert the indifferent students. I think the grades and the success you achieve are rewards themselves, not money.

Maximas said...
on Mar. 23 2015 at 12:52 pm
I totally agree but i need to be paid more right now 1 dollar for 1 A+. Why : (

luke bob said...
on Mar. 23 2015 at 12:49 pm
I totally AGREE if students got paid for getting good grades we would have money to spend on what we want. So students would work hard for their money. GET PAID FOR GOOD GRADES.

Marcus said...
on Mar. 4 2015 at 5:17 pm
I agree with the author that students should be paid for their good grades.That being that students would try harder in their classes.I think it would be fair to all students.Reason being, Smarter students would be put in a smarter class while not as smart kids would be put in a not smarter class so they would have a fair advantage!

annycs13 GOLD said...
on Mar. 2 2015 at 5:19 pm
annycs13 GOLD, Davis, California

"The less you reveal, the more people can wonder.."

-Emma Watson

I don't think that students should get paid for good grades because what about the students who don't get good grades but try? What about them? And the students who do get good grades and get paid for it, they may turn into overconfident students and may try to rub it into the other students faces. I think that, when it comes to a final or a big exam, maybe an exception could be made, but honestly, I think that on a regular basis, being paid to get a good grade is a good way of making other students feel like the lesser student. Maybe they could be paid for getting a good grade, but what if they're already getting a good grade? Then what? They're not really trying and working if they already were getting a good grade. I think that the idea of students getting paid is not a bad idea, but it is a flawed idea.

on Feb. 24 2015 at 6:21 pm
I love the idea of getting paid for good grades. The question I have is how much would each student make for each good grade? I feel as though being paid for good grades would push me to work a lot harder in school. Sometimes I find myself slacking off or skipping studying for a quiz or test because I do not have enough motivation to work really hard for the best grade that I am capable of. I think that the parents should not be in charge of paying us when we get good grades, but I feel there should be a system to make sure all students are paid for A's and B's, and if they get all A's and B's on their report cards they should get a little extra money. I am always told by teachers and adults that school is my "job". If school is my job why am I not being paid for going to "work" everyday? I think kids should definitely get paid, not only to motivate, but if you are experiencing a difficulties with money in your family, you are able to help out your family with money, but are also able to stay in school and continue receiving an education.

Awesome! said...
on Jan. 8 2015 at 8:13 pm
@Awesome! Hellloooooooo I totally agree with you tht students should get paid .

sally said...
on Dec. 17 2014 at 11:50 am
I totally agree with you students should get paid. Adults get paid or get a raise when they do a good job, right? Since it's a kids "job" to do good in school and have good grades wouldn't it make sense for them to get paid for there achievements.

Kent said...
on Dec. 16 2014 at 5:59 pm
If we expect our parents to pay us for having good grades, then we should pay them for our living expenses as well, food, clothes, house, education, cable, cell phone, transportation, computer, etc, etc, etc, etc .........., They already spent a lot of money on us, because the Love us so much, like my Granpa and my daddy use to say... Education is the best gift that a parent can give to his child. Kent. 8yrs old