Scrolling to Self-Doubt: The Dangerous Effects Social Media Has on Self-Esteem and Body Image | Teen Ink

Scrolling to Self-Doubt: The Dangerous Effects Social Media Has on Self-Esteem and Body Image

By KT1111 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
KT1111 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

We can all agree that 2020-2021 was a challenging time of our lives. Teens spent most of their time at home facing screens and scrolling online. Social media usage increased significantly, and it got to a point that was very unhealthy. My sister, Carly, was one of the many people who fell into the lies on social media. The lies such as the need to do certain skin and hair routines just to be beautiful or to be pretty, women need to have an hourglass body shape. Lies. By constantly comparing herself to what she saw on the screen, my sister formed what is called anorexia. Anorexia, according to an article titled “Anorexia,” published on April 30, 2022, by Medicine Plus, is “an eating disorder that causes people to weigh less than is considered healthy for their age and height, usually by excessive weight loss.” People like my sister with this disorder may have an extreme fear of gaining weight. My sister was in and out of the hospital constantly and eventually went to a facility in Utah for care for a few months. I saw firsthand that social media really can and does negatively affect self-esteem and body image. Many statistics prove this and the effects of this mental illness can be comparison, addiction, and health issues.

Both men and women are affected by social media. Emotion Matters published an article titled “How does Social Media Influence Body Image?” on October 4, 2018, where they stated that “over 88% of women compare themselves to images on social media.” It may be easy to think that the effects are mainly on women but that is not true whatsoever. Over 65% of men compare themselves to images on social media. Every social media app has effects, whether it's good or bad. A survey was given to 1,000 Americans; among them, 68% of Gen Zers say that Instagram has the most negative effects on self-esteem and body image. Lily Norton, a content marketing specialist at SimpleTexting, notes that “almost 5.2 out of every 10 Americans have undergone social media detox due to the harmful impacts of the platform on mental health,” according to her article titled "America Ranks the Most Toxic Social Media Apps," which was published on April 20, 2022. Comparison is one of the top things that causes low self-confidence from social media.

Social media comparison occurs when we tend to observe others on social media whom we perceive as superior to ourselves in substantial ways, which can have detrimental effects on our mental and emotional well-being. Many people who struggle with this view their worth based on how they measure up against others. My sister fell into lies that led her to compare herself to anyone she saw, which is what constantly flows through many brains of social media viewers. All she could think of for a long time was wishing she could be like a certain girl or have the same skinny stomach as some famous influencers. That is how she viewed her worth, comparing it to everyone else. For some people, it can be hard to notice that urge to compare every time social media is opened on the phone or feel the need to lose weight because of the comparison. My sister didn’t notice how bad her comparison was before my family noticed. Social media can teach our minds that we aren’t good enough just the way we are and that's the biggest lie so many people fall into. 

Addiction is what causes people to compare themselves more and more. The more time we spend on it, the more damaging the effects get. “Constantly comparing oneself to others can lead to feelings of self-consciousness or a need for perfectionism and order, which often manifest as a social anxiety disorder," as detailed in an article titled “Social Media Addiction," published on March 3, 2024, by the Addiction Center. A social anxiety disorder is pretty much fear and anxiety that interferes with relationships. My sister had developed this also. She used to be a very loud and outgoing person and over time, with all the comparisons to other people constantly, she became a very quiet and introverted person. She shared with me that this was because she had a lot of fear of being judged in any way, shape, or form, so she stayed away from situations in general. Addiction to social media can also be very dangerous because it promotes an unrealistic beauty standard. People often show off their best moments on social media, not allowing others to see the full picture and that often makes others feel inadequate. It's important to know that a huge amount of photos are being edited that many people believe to be the real picture. Addiction to social media can also create health issues.

Social media can have major effects on one’s health, whether physically or mentally. Help Guide published an article on February 5, 2024, titled “Social Media and Mental Health” where they stated, “Multiple studies have found a strong link between heavy social media and an increased risk for depression, anxiety, loneliness, self-harm, and even suicidal thoughts.” These are common mental health effects of the heavy usage of social media. There are also physical effects that my sister experienced. She wanted to be skinny so she didn’t eat a whole lot. Her body did not get the nutrients it needed. She was very low on electrolytes and made a few emergency room visits due to it. She became anemic which can also be a common effect. Other physical consequences of not eating due to what one sees on social media include muscle loss, feeling cold, low energy, absence of menstruation, and several other symptoms.

In conclusion, statistics have shown the effects of social media that include comparison, addiction, and health issues. Social media can have way more negative effects on body image and self-esteem than one can imagine. It's crucial to understand what it can really do to people. It's essential to take the steps to prioritize our mental, emotional, and physical well-being. By prioritizing this, my sister was able to realize her worth and not compare it to others because everyone is different. Remember, we are all worth so much more than just what we see on social media. Embrace what is unique and different about every one of us. Loving ourselves for the way we are is what truly matters.

Social media has had a lot of negative effects on me and my family and I wanted to really share how deep and dangerous social media can be for many.