Paws and Think | Teen Ink

Paws and Think

By timmisdatimmis BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
timmisdatimmis BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts

While our nation shines light on crime and foreign aid, they turn their backs on a equal to if not greater one. This issue blankets over 300,000,000 defenseless souls who are beaten, forced into brutal fights, and threatened into unwilling reproduction. They are not people - they are animals. They are the dogs who are coaxed into making puppies so that our nation can satisfy their intense hunger for entertainment. They are the chickens that get razor blades strapped to their toes so that when they release their inner rage on the opposing chicken, they can actually do some damage. They are the puppies like “snoopy” (Not the peanuts snoopy) who are beaten and then thrown away as if they are garbage.
What do we do about this issue?
Nothing.
We just sit at home and await the next tragic story to take the headlines about a dog in rehab. This makes me sad. This makes me angry. This makes me weak. The people who do this are the living devil.
They are animal abusers.
During the summer, I came across one of these foul people. I was walking around the reservoir with my family when we came across this group of bikers smoking by the water. To keep themselves in mental check, they have dogs. Do you think the dogs want to be associated with an ashtray on wheels? No. So they try to branch out to other people to play with them. The dog ran out to go play with the other dogs as he should. As you could imagine, the owner came over. But instead of taking him back, she lifted the dog to head height to then drop him. It looked as if the dog was partially crippled from the fall as well as from the past falls.
I wanted to scream. Shout. Do something to help the dog thats not even built for rough rides and rough people. I never saw the dog again but I hope he manages to get to safety. If I could, I would have called someone but I was stupid and just watched it in shock.
Don’t make the same mistake.
People like this are all over where you do and don’t expect it. Take rodeo’s. What do you think makes the bulls so mad? Abuse. The owners of the bulls twist their tails, electrocute, and twist the bulls calves to give those animals a hatred towards humans.
Sure rodeos are known to be pretty mean, but things seemingly kind like laboratories for new cures are cruel to animals too. Over 100,000,000 animals have died in laboratories in the name of science tests. And thats just this year.
When you think of animal abuse, what animal comes to mind? Probably dogs right? Wrong. While dogs may be the most abused species at 64.5%, cats are 18%. Thats roughly a quarter of the dogs. The remaining 26.5% are other animals. The most common forms of animal abuse are abandonment (32%), hoarding (12%), shooting (11%), fighting (9%), and beating (7%). Other inhumane forms are like burning and stabbing. Acts of abuse can be traced to other crimes like robbing and property damage which could be because of mental disorders. Either way a dog or cat or other should not be treated like so.
Imagine If you were one of those dogs. Every day you would be cut, smacked, and kicked as if you were some kind of punching bag. Food would be a rarity if not a luxury for you. Dogs would bark outside as they walk by but you are forced to stay inside. This may be a hypothetical situation, but for many dogs it’s a reality.
Some are as brutally injured as having to take gun shots, being exposed to flames, and having their eyes gouged out so that they run like soup down their hairy cheeks. It’s a rarity that police will come in and investigate because from the outside it’s just a house which police can’t go into unless the owner has something held against them. Animals like possum, a kitten in a kitten mill, are treated like the previous scenario, only with more severe ways of punishment like eye scooping and cutting. If you see people doing things like this call the police, run and get help, try to grab the animal if it seems 100% plausible to do, just do something so that they can spend the rest of their short life in the best means possible.
Animals that need help have been thrown under the bus by society. Literally even thrown under busses. We need to help them so they can live their lives as happily as they choose to. I mean we branch out to other nations to make their people happy so why don’t we do the same for animals? They feel pain, if they didn’t why would dogs wag their tails or why would cats scratch people they hate every time? The next time you see an animal thats happy take a closer look to see how much they must enjoy their life. Take a closer look at what we take for granted. Take a closer look at what's really going on in the world. Use this knowledge so that the next time you see an animal being harassed, the person is the one who ends up in a cage.
A prison cage.