Why I can never write poetry | Teen Ink

Why I can never write poetry

By ayyduh BRONZE, Novi, Michigan
ayyduh BRONZE, Novi, Michigan

My writing is a free flowing river,

Except that river is man-made,

And hand-shaped with my own thoughts

About the various interpretations.

My writing is a weathered pond, 

Except in the murky water lies a clear path,

That leads readers into thinking 

About the way I intended it to be.

My writing is a beautiful lake,

Except that lake suffocates things

That my creativity never reaches

About the structures I never touch.

My writing is the wide ocean,

Except that ocean contains everything,

Yet nothing at the same time, 

Or rather, just one thing. 

My writing begs for one interpretation, my writing wants readers to think one way, my writing doesn’t fit well with poetic devices, my writing all sort of sounds the same. 

Like how a fish swims in the waters,

Writing naturally conveys my thoughts.

While poetry allows me to explore larger waters,

Like rivers, ponds, lakes, oceans,

I’m scared. 

"Why I can never write poetry" is, ironically, a poem about my struggles with poetry. Even though I have a couple of poems under my belt now, "Why I can never write poetry" is special because it is my first. I express my worries about writing poetry. I stress that poetry is too free, and that freeness confines me. However, I discover it is not poetry that confines me, but rather my own fears of testing the waters of something new. Also pretty ironically, "Why I can never write poetry" became the kickstarter for my journey as a poet. After writing this poem, I was finally able to begin to maneuver the complicated but beautiful genre of poetry. 

Ada Gong is an Asian-American writer and high school sophomore hailing from Michigan. She received two regional gold keys and two honorable mentions in the Midwest Region Scholastic Writing Awards. Additionally, she has a strong passion for creative writing and always enjoys a good book!