Flame | Teen Ink

Flame MAG

I watch this flame pass
from match to wick,
gently stepping over
a great divide.
This flame and I
are not so different:
it comes into being from nothingness;
it eats and grows, smokes, and rests.
It gets angry,
destroys homes,
consumes flesh.
Sated, it becomes calm,
retreats into coals,
smoldering through the night.
Domesticated
by a piece of string,
it makes its home in a cave of wax.
It chases the shadows away
and stands watch through the night.
It sways
and dances in the darkness
before it is extinguished
in the blink
of an eye.

What inspired me to write this was: my life resembles a candle light. Bright at times, then it completely turns around and I feel dark, sad, and abandoned. I hope whoever reads this will feel what I felt, and not judge, but understand. Thank you.

12zebraluv BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona

Don't judge a book by its cover

This resembles me by so much

eddys96 SILVER said...
eddys96 SILVER, Sacramento, California

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Don't Be Afraid if things seem difficult in the beginning. That's only initial impression.. The Important things is not the Retreat; You have to Master Yourself

i like this poem. its very hot

NLURHS BRONZE said...
on Feb. 17 2012 at 9:26 am
NLURHS BRONZE, Charlotte, North Carolina

"Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice: It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved." ~Unknown

That was amazing I loved it, it just flowed, I could really imagine a flame when reading your poem, just simply amazing :D

on Feb. 4 2012 at 9:08 am
HiddenAngelInTheDark PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

Theres so many that I can't pick sorry

Beautiful and we can all be like an object such as a cloud or a wave or even the rain

Kingdom_of_the_Forgotten GOLD, Ogden, Utah

"Time, the cradle of hope.... Wisdom walks before it, opportunity with it, and repentance behind it: he that has made it his friend will have little to fear from his enemies, but he that has made it his enemy will have little to hope from his friends." ~Charles Caleb Colton

This is really good. The work of a genius who knows how to get their point across to people.

KateLA GOLD said...
KateLA GOLD, Everett, Washington

Don’t you find it Funny that after Monday(M) and Tuesday(T), the rest of the week says WTF?
-Unknown

Wow, I just loved this-you are a master at poem writing, gave it 5/5 of course!

living_undefined, Albuquerque, New Mexico

"dream as if uv got forever, live as if uv only got today" and "life is like photography, we develop from the negatives"

Reading this poem i imagined a girl litteraly being the flame. and the flame moving as if a mind of its own then in the end i saw a flame make its way into a "cave of wax" then in the cave i saw a girl on fire dancing. I really love this poem :) keep writeing

on Jan. 26 2012 at 11:28 am
EternallyMe03 SILVER, BIRMINGHAM, Alabama
I truly appreciate this poem. It is very unique in that it can relate to many people. Simple, yet powerful.

on Jan. 26 2012 at 10:46 am
AlexisNicole822 SILVER, Elyria, Ohio

Robert Pattinson: “If you find a girl who reads, keep her close. When you find her up at 2 AM clutching a book to her chest and weeping, make her a cup of tea and hold her. You may lose her for a couple of hours but she will always come back to you. She’ll talk as if the characters in the book are real, because for a while, they always are. Date a girl who reads because you deserve it. You deserve a girl who can give you the most colorful life imaginable. If you can only give her monotony, and stale hours and half-baked proposals, then you’re better off alone. If you want the world and the worlds beyond it, date a girl who reads"

This is amazing. I completely understand the similiarities. And I most definitely agree, I feel this way at times as well. Excellent job(:

amber603 GOLD said...
amber603 GOLD, Durango, Colorado

"You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming? That's where I will always love you. That's where I'll be waiting." - J.M.B.

To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure." - J.K.R.

This is one of the best poems i have seen in a while! Great job!

Legumes said...
Legumes, Germantown, Tennessee
Can I say anything other than wow?

Marzipan_City BRONZE, Rockford, Illinois

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee - Muhammad Ali

This is a great poem. And I loved the analogies you put in it

K.T.Bugg said...
K.T.Bugg, Strawberry, Arkansas

Where there is love, there is God.

Love this poem! Very very good! :) It's very touching and true! i love it :) keep up the awesome work!

on Jan. 4 2012 at 11:48 am
His_Baby_Girl19 SILVER, Charlestown, Indiana

"Your only young once, but you can be immature a life time."

I love this poem. And especially how it represents you. The beauty within this poem can only come out of the courageous and lonely beauty's. You may not be alone, but do not let your inner wick distinguish.....You may never been able to enlighten it again...

on Jan. 4 2012 at 10:38 am
MarissaWhitecloud SILVER, Oskaloosa, Iowa
This was really good. I loved how you described the flame and then made it to describe you.

on Jan. 4 2012 at 9:56 am
Zoe-22-Turner DIAMOND, Beverly, Massachusetts
wow that is really good interesting how you connected those two i love the analogy its really well written

on Jan. 4 2012 at 9:23 am
poet.lover PLATINUM, Pineville, Pennsylvania

"Never part without loving words to think of during your absence. It may be that you will not meet again in this life."

I really love all the emotion and truth that lies within this poem! Amazing work! try reading some of my poetry sometime, thanks :)

Joshua. GOLD said...
on Jan. 4 2012 at 3:04 am
Joshua. GOLD, Las Vegas, Nevada

"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself: Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived, or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?" - Hunter S Tompson

Great! I really like it!

heather_marie PLATINUM, Deshler, Ohio

\\\"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control

i understand completly my life has been estinguished many times and then light up again a short while. i love how fire can chase away the dark. and can keep me safe.

Fia-fia BRONZE said...
on Dec. 13 2011 at 9:58 am
Fia-fia BRONZE, Bethesda, Maryland

Truly wonderful! It is very interesting how u connected life to a candle, which is not untrue... thank you!

:)