This thing we call Life | Teen Ink

This thing we call Life

August 8, 2015
By Julianamarie GOLD, New City, New York
Julianamarie GOLD, New City, New York
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It was gone, leaving in its place an almost uncontrollable impulse to laugh, to scream, to hurl things about. She wanted, suddenly, to shock people, to hurt them, to make them notice her, to be aware of her suffering.”
•Nella Larsen, Passing•


It's like being in the ocean. During a time of unrelenting happiness you are ripped off your feet. The waves crashing down on top of you. One after the other, without a single opportunity to catch your breath. While underneath the waves deadly grasp time seems to escape you. You don't know if you have been under for 10 seconds or 10 minutes. When finally the sea gives up, you are left floating, disoriented, confused, breathless; but alive. The beauty you thought was lost suddenly bombards you. Once you lift your throbbing head to witness the waves gently lap against the sandy shore and the orange sun lay on the navy horizon. The unadulterated elegance that the earth holds seems to be reunited with the darkness of your mind. Existing is not always easy or bearable, but when you make it through it's most difficult challenges it’s like being reborn a stronger person.