A Flash | Teen Ink

A Flash

By radrach BRONZE, Blacklick, Ohio
radrach BRONZE, Blacklick, Ohio

Life is like lightning. It’s loud. It’s scary. It’s nerve-wracking and unpredictable. It’s blinding. But it’s also beautiful. It’s sudden. 

It’s loud; the first time you hear it. Your hands quickly cover your ears in hopes that they will prevent the ear-piercing sound from rattling the bones inside you. Our lives are loud and sometimes we aren’t able to appreciate the quietness that comes along in our busy lives.

It’s scary; seeing a white flash coming down from the sky. Sometimes it’s so scary that I think the world might end. The sky is like skin and the lightning is the veins, decorating the once flawless skin. It always frightens me about the fact that lightning could hit the ground and quite possibly injure someone. Life is scary, especially since we don’t know what will happen in the future.

It’s nerve-wracking and unpredictable. That constant anticipation of the next time lightning will strike keeps you waiting for it to flash across the black sky once again. It is testing your patience, waiting to see if you are committed enough to see it again or too annoyed to continue watching the masterpiece on the black canvas. Life is always causing us anxiety, something in all of us saying “well what if”. And once we do that “what if”, we feel something inside us. It’s not always good, but it’s not always bad. Life is always throwing obstacles at you, hoping that you have the courage and strength to take on those obstacles. You never know what to expect with life, same with lightning.

It’s blinding; almost like love. The way that flash streaks into the blinds that close your room off from the outside world in the middle of the night as you lie awake, desperately wishing for the storm to end. It’s when your driving and the lightning comes across the sky and you almost have to bring your car to a halt so you don’t crash. Material possessions are blinding us and are causing us not to see the real and beauty that comes along with a life.

It’s beautiful. God letting his paintbrush bleed across the black canvas with an alcohol-base paint for that perfect vein effect. Instead of an Instagram-able photo opportunity, take a picture of this moment in your mind. There will be other times that lightning strikes. This one is more important. Every strike of lightning is unique, and so are you.

It’s sudden; it happens in a flash. One minute the sky will be dark with clouds and the next thing you know something in the sky has caught your attention. It makes you jump with realization; that it is real and so are you. This isn’t a dream. This sudden burst of light in the sky is what’s making you realize how quick your life can flash before your eyes. Sometimes if you aren’t careful, you might wind up dead.