The Fountainhead | Teen Ink

The Fountainhead MAG

A person with deep convictions for what they want in life will find an abundance of inspiration in this book.

Written by the creator of the Objectivist philosophy, Ayn Rand, the book presents the theme of the individual against the establishment in a “tortoise and the hare” type of plot. It follows two young architects: Howard Roark, who refuses to conform to the whims of his clientele, and Peter Keating, who sells out in every way to procure wealth and fame.

Since Ayn Rand blends her philosophy into this novel, some of the dialogue is a bit awkward, as everything builds to the philosophical endpoint.

Although Roark is the hero, during the book we find him succumbing to do projects he doesn’t want to do, reminding us he is human after all. Without relinquishing his morals, Roark possesses the foresight to see what he wants and how he will achieve it, which other characters lack. While Keating is first portrayed as the antagonist, he then becomes a pest, then a character one almost pities for the choices he makes.

Readers may find themselves convinced they are like Howard Roark and others in their lives are Peter Keatings. Only readers who scrutinize the work will see that Roark’s path is long and hard, constantly clinging to his values against social persuasion.

Ayn Rand’s The Fountainhead shows that it takes true character and perseverance to go against the odds and fight for a vision.

i love this !

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

Great review. You explain things very throughly. I do have an inerest in this book after reading We the Living. Have you read that? Anyway, great job with this review.