Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen | Teen Ink

Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen

By RedEyes BRONZE, Dell Rapids, South Dakota
RedEyes BRONZE, Dell Rapids, South Dakota

"Oh, bubble trumps."

With a style that captures the eyes of many teens (mainly girls), “Someone Like You” projects the changes that occur during teen pregnancy. This wonderful book by Sarah Dessen shows the drama and emotional stress on many pregnant teens.

Halley and Scarlett are best friends; Scarlett is the strong, independent, crying shoulder type and Halley is the sensitive, quiet, dependent type. While Halley is off at “Sisterhood Camp”, Scarlett calls her and requests that she come home; obviously, something is wrong. Scarlett slowly reveals that not only is her boyfriend dead from a tragic motorcycle accident, but she is pregnant with his baby. And so, the story begins…

Dessen’s books are all mainly written for teenage girls, so it seems. “Someone Like You” focuses on Halley’s struggles to balance her relationships and school life, and still help Scarlett by being a great friend. Dessen’s plot and word play make this book unique.

This scarily realistic book is simply amazing. It is a must-read for all teens who have been through something that is emotional for everyone. I almost couldn’t put the book down the whole time!

For those of you who enjoy thrilling, emotional, and exciting books, maybe even “chick books,” this book is a great read!

I just really love this book and I figure, hey, why not review it? :)

on Apr. 23 2010 at 8:52 pm
amazingkp. BRONZE, Lemars, Iowa
I read this book recently and i loved it. If that isn't friendship then i don't know what is. You know what i mean?? Those girls stuck together throw thick and then together. I just really liked it. I thought it was touching. Very good. She is a very good writer. I want to read some more of her books in the future.