A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini | Teen Ink

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini MAG

By HalliewoodYeaah BRONZE, Huntington, West Virginia
HalliewoodYeaah BRONZE, Huntington, West Virginia

"Children aren't coloring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colors."
— Khaled Hosseini

Khaled Hosseini's sophomore novel, A Thousand Splendid Suns, begins with a girl's knowledge that she is not, and never has been, wanted. Hosseini's The Kite Runner ­focused on the men of Afghanistan, their relationships, and the guilt of childhood wrongdoings. A Thousand Splendid Sun's themes are the relationships between mothers and daughters, friendship between women, and the struggle to survive living with an abusive husband.

Although it was clearly written for an audience much older than me, I found this book spoke to me. My heart goes out to the women in this world who have not been given the advantages in life I have, who are not as lucky as I am to live in a country with equal rights. This is the story that A Thousand Splendid Suns tells us.

Hosseini makes the hardships of these women clear, including sharing a husband, the struggle against the Taliban (who made it illegal for a woman to walk outside without a male family member), and always, always, the fear of blame. “Learn this now and learn it well, my daughter: Like a compass needle that points north, a man's accusing finger always finds a woman. Always.”

We may find it easier to believe that this is just a story, that A Thousand Splendid Suns is made up. But the minute we begin that train of thought, we become just as guilty as the men in power who put these laws into action. We are just as guilty as they, when we ignore the truth. I encourage you to read this novel, for it will change your life and way of thinking.

This was an assignment in my Lit. class, but I enjoyed doing it!

on May. 19 2013 at 7:41 am
AugustSummerFling PLATINUM, Mylapore, Chennai, Other

'For you, a thousand times over.' - Hassan, The Kite Runner

A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit.

Yes, this book really changes your life and the way of thinking. Loved both the books. Both the books just blew my mind. And I'm glad to see you picked my fav quote from the book! Great job on the review !

on May. 2 2010 at 3:56 pm
sunnyhunny PLATINUM, Litchfield, New Hampshire

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
-Ghandi

Great review!  Very well written, and you really got your points across.  Five stars!  ...I'll have to read this book :)

healingheart said...
on Apr. 28 2010 at 6:37 am
As I read this review, I could as you may say, 'feel zoned into this book'.   Made me feel as if I was already reading the book and wanting to continue to read more.  Made me want to go right out and buy it. Review was very well done. 

voodoogold said...
on Apr. 28 2010 at 12:18 am
I think this review was well written, concise and to the point.  The reviewer gave just enough information to pique your interest in the book, and did it well.