Willow: It's Hard To Keep A Secret When It's Written All Over Your Body by Julia Hoban | Teen Ink

Willow: It's Hard To Keep A Secret When It's Written All Over Your Body by Julia Hoban

July 3, 2010
By ZombieCupcakes BRONZE, Dos Palos, California
ZombieCupcakes BRONZE, Dos Palos, California
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Creativity has got to start with humanity and when you're a human being, you feel, you suffer." - Marilyn Monroe


Julia Hoban is an author that I haven’t read much of, but if all her work is like Willow, I’m sure I’ll enjoy them all. Willow is hard to describe. Heart-warming, touching, and intense are all a few words that can only begin to describe Willow.
Willow, a 17 year old girl, has a lot on her conscience. She has lost her parents in a tragic accident that she holds herself responsible for. She feels that the only way to cope with the pain is by cutting herself, keeping it a secret from all those around her. She does a good job of this until she meets Guy, a boy who seems to have his whole life in place. After Willow meets Guy, she must deal with conflicting emotions that she has tried so long to suppress.
The beginning of the story is a little hard to follow at times only because it drags on a bit. Other than that, the book is very well written. The plot remained consistent throughout the book adding to the ease of reading. At points in this book, I found myself cringing at the author’s description of how Willow would self mutilate herself. By the end of the book, I was disappointed that the book had come to an end. It left me wanting the story to continue and just anticipating more.
Overall, I enjoyed this book and I highly recommend this book. I don’t suggest you read this book if you don’t like “provocative” books. Willow has a few strong themes that may not be suitable for all people. When I finally put this book down, I felt like I had helped Willow overcome her struggles just by reading her story.



JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 6 comments.


on Mar. 13 2012 at 1:11 pm
what websites can you read the  book  Willow by Julia Hoban for free online without any dowloading.

on Jul. 16 2010 at 12:41 am
ZombieCupcakes BRONZE, Dos Palos, California
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Creativity has got to start with humanity and when you're a human being, you feel, you suffer." - Marilyn Monroe

Thank you so much. :) I'm glad you all liked my first review.

Julia H said...
on Jul. 15 2010 at 6:07 pm

Thank you too Francesca! You have no idea how much it means to an author to hear that somebody considers their book one of their favorites! I'm so pleased it spoke to you....  And to Miss Zombie Cupcakes (love the name!!) Thank you for the very positive (and well written) review!

 

Julia H


Julia H said...
on Jul. 15 2010 at 6:04 pm

Thank you so much for your lovely comment, Adrian, and best of luck with your own writing!

 

Julia H


aks_5 SILVER said...
on Jul. 14 2010 at 10:49 pm
aks_5 SILVER, Oak Forest, Illinois
5 articles 2 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
Never take life seriously, no one gets out alive anyways.

Willow was an amazing book and your review just wanted me to read it again! (:

on Jul. 12 2010 at 12:19 pm
Francesca BRONZE, Clermont, Florida
1 article 0 photos 22 comments
This is one of my favorite books, and the review was very well written. Nice job!