That Hideous Strength by C.S. Lewis | Teen Ink

That Hideous Strength by C.S. Lewis MAG

That Hideous Strength is the third and final book in this series by C.S. Lewis. Most of you know him from Chronicles of Narnia, but in my opinion this book is much more dynamic. Like the Chronicles, this series, especially the last book, relates directly to Christianity and explores it in a new light.

However, That Hideous Strength focuses more on end times and the concept of marriage. Like Chronicles of Narnia, this book is crammed full of action and adventure. The plot twists around the idea of loyalty and obedience while still being able to make personal decisions. The space adventure has a science-fiction theme, while the intricate writing and drama give it a classic feel.

The characters are so real that you find yourself trying to understand them and wanting to meet them. In the other books, Dr. Ransom has been the main character, traveling through the vast reaches of space to Venus and Mars (called Perelandra and Malacandra by natives). However, Jane is the focus in this story. Headstrong and controlling, she sees her new marriage as an equal partnership, almost businesslike. But once she finally meets Dr. Ransom, all of her beliefs are challenged, contradicted, and corrected.

I have read hundreds of books, but never such a perfectly written and well thought out novel. Literally every sentence is filled with imagery unequaled by any other. No matter what your religious views are, this book must be read.

on Nov. 17 2008 at 3:06 am
Great author, great book, great series. I'm glad to see the Silent Planet books get some recognition.

elven_arrow said...
wow. i've never even heard of that book before, but after reading that, i immedietly went to order it from the library, lol. very nicely written!