The Big Field by Mike Lupica | Teen Ink

The Big Field by Mike Lupica

April 14, 2011
By Eric7 BRONZE, Vancouver, Washington
Eric7 BRONZE, Vancouver, Washington
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Hutch has been a baseball player his whole life and not just any baseball player, a shortstop, the one that’s suppose to be the leader of a team. But on his new team, an American legion team called Post 226 Cardinals; they already have an amazing shortstop. His name is Darryl who is projected to go pro when he is older. Now Hutch is stuck playing 2nd base. Don’t think it’s just a change of position because to Hutch it feels like a demotion.

Which makes it worse he has to live up to his father. His father, Carl Hutchinson, was a professional baseball player. His father ended up having to give it up because even with how good he was, he wasn’t quite good enough for pro ball. This realization broke his heart and it seemed like he didn’t want to have anything to do with baseball. Hutch and his Dad have a tough relationship because all Hutch wants is for his dad to want to watch him play baseball. But his Dad doesn’t want baseball to end up breaking his son’s heart too, so he doesn’t help or even come to Hutch’s games.

In the end, Hutch’s team wins the championship and he gets his Dads approval. Hutch and Darryl become friends and work together even though Hutch has to play 2nd base. Even with all the struggles Hutch went through, he came out on top, winning the championship and getting his baseball Dad back.