House of Dreams by Pauline Gedge | Teen Ink

House of Dreams by Pauline Gedge

By CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Question: What were the three most dangerous things a woman in ancient Egypt could be?
Answer: Ambitious, intelligent and beautiful.

Thu, a girl from Aswat, a small hamlet in the south of Egypt, is all three of these things. She wants more than the few prospects Aswat offers her. When the great seer Hui makes a pilgrimage to the temple of Wepwawet (Aswat’s totem), Thu sees her opportunity to escape.

Rather than sending Thu away when she sneaks onto his barge, Hui takes her under his wing and trains her to become a healer. He did not do this out of mere kindness, however. Hui sees a great destiny for Thu and he schemes to achieve this by bringing her to heal Pharaoh Ramses III, who immediately places her in his harem. Thu soon becomes Pharaoh’s favourite concubine, a position fraught with danger that brings ‘House of Dreams’ to its tragic conclusion.

I stayed up until four in the morning to finish this breathtaking novel. Thu is not a sympathetic character, but she is so interesting that she commands your attention. The story of her rise to (and fall from) grace is one that is unforgettable. Pauline Gedge brings the enchanting era of the 19th Dynasty to life with her incredible knowledge of ancient Egypt and her compelling characters. ‘House of Dreams’ is a book I would highly recommend.

This is another one of Pauline Gedge's great books. I can't wait to read the sequel, 'House of Illusions'.

on Oct. 2 2011 at 5:25 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks!  I hope you enjoy it! :)

Steph0804 GOLD said...
on Oct. 1 2011 at 12:00 pm
Steph0804 GOLD, Seoul, Other

"Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog: you understand it better, but the frog dies in the process." -E.B. White

I really want to read this! Unfortunately, my school library has no books by Pauline Gedge... I'm headed to the bookstore. Lovely review!

on Aug. 31 2011 at 4:25 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Ah, but in my author's note I mentioned there's a sequel! ;)

on Aug. 31 2011 at 12:16 pm
ItsAshMal SILVER, Guilford, Connecticut

The length, style of this all made me interested in what you were saying. You seem to have a knack for knowing how much is too much and never surpassing it. 

I wish you wouldn't tell us it has a "tragic" conclusion though! It lessens my will to read the book. 

on Aug. 11 2011 at 7:27 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you!  I spent a lot of time on that opening line. :)

on Aug. 11 2011 at 7:26 pm
JustAnotherOwl SILVER, Unknown, New York

"See, we don't really care who you are;
Everyone is capable of looking up and wishing on a star.
So catch it, so contagious, this day-dreamer's disease,
And hope can be your sword, slaying darkness with belief."

"Sanctuary"- Paradise Fears

I really like the way you started this review. It grabbed my attention right away. This was short and sweet, so it kept me interested, so great job! :)

on Aug. 3 2011 at 7:22 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you! :)

on Aug. 3 2011 at 7:21 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting! :)

on Aug. 3 2011 at 3:17 pm
Love.Hate.Passion., Spring Valley, Illinois

~Hope. Faith. Love~
~Be proud of who you are.You are all unique in a different way.~
~I WILL NOT fade into oblivion , and become less than
a distant memory.~

Awesome. You keep it sweet and simple and didn't give anything away. :)

on Aug. 3 2011 at 12:21 am
Healing_Angel SILVER, Sydney, Other

Live for today, not for tomorrow

I agree with gracegirl. I tend to spoil books for readers... :(

on Jul. 28 2011 at 8:41 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you!  I'm glad you like it. :)

on Jul. 28 2011 at 2:57 pm
sweetly_broken GOLD, Garner, North Carolina

We never know how big we are until we are asked to rise.

I really like this review. The beginning drew my attention and the remainder of the review did a great job explaining key points of the novel without spoiling it for people who plan to read the book.

on Jul. 21 2011 at 7:13 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you!  I'm glad you liked it. :)

on Jul. 21 2011 at 9:36 am
inksplatteredfingerz SILVER, Union, New Jersey

"Where I'm from, we believe all sorts of things that aren't true--we call it history."--the Wizard; Wicked

you're review is short and sweet but it also catches the reader's attention. i like how you summarize the book enough to perk the reader's interest without giving everything away.

on Jul. 18 2011 at 10:27 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting!

on Jul. 18 2011 at 10:24 pm
whitstar27 GOLD, Edison, New Jersey

when life gives you lemons, make grape juice. Then step back and let the world wonder how you did it
and
when life gives you lemon, throw them back at life

I felt this report was really informative. It makes me want to read the book.

on Jul. 18 2011 at 2:43 pm
musicispassion PLATINUM, Perris, California

" Life is never easy for those who dream."
There are so many other quotes i need pages to write them

never heard of it but i'm gonna look it up

on Jul. 17 2011 at 11:09 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

I never watched Star Wars; I'm not interested in that hard-core sci-fi.  Paranormal fantasy is okay too.  I like the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini.  My tastes can't really be put into one category. :)

on Jul. 17 2011 at 11:07 pm

r u into star wars i like paranormal, fiction, a little sci-fi and paranormal romance

on Jul. 17 2011 at 10:58 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you!  Yes, I've reviewed a lot of Egyptian novels, but I'm interested in other historical novels.  And other genres, especially fantasy and science fiction.