Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah | Teen Ink

Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah

April 8, 2008
By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

When I asked my mom for a good read, she gave me one answer: Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah. She said it was by far the best book she ever read. Honestly, I decided to read it because the cover looked pretty. But as I started to read it, I just could not put it down. It is part romance, part drama, part comedy, and all heart.

Kate Mularkey is a reject in her eighth-grade class, destined to be a dork forever. Then Tully Hart moves next door and everything changes for her. She begins to spend all of her time with the glamorous Tully and they soon become known as TullyandKate. Tully's life is not as wonderful as Kate believes, and when Tully suddenly has to leave her home on Firefly Lane, they maintain their close friendship through letters and phone calls until they are reunited during their senior year. Tully has a dream for her and Kate: to become famous journalists and rule the television news world. Kate pretends to share in the excitement, but all she really wants is to marry and have children. Despite their polar opposite personalities, their friendship is one that lasts thirty years until a single act of betrayal tears them apart. When tragedy strikes, they must reconcile their differences before it's too late.

Firefly Lane is a must-read for any girl who has been in Kate Mularkey's shoes, forever longing for a friend's limelight. It's a must-read for any girl who has been like Tully Hart, desperate to make her mark on the world. This was the most amazing book I have ever read, although the ending left me heartbroken. Trust me; Kleenex will be a necessity. This book will remind girls of the one friend who makes them laugh and cry. It will be passed down from best friend to best friend.