wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson | Teen Ink

wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

By Courtney Fiegel BRONZE, Ann Arbor, Michigan
Courtney Fiegel BRONZE, Ann Arbor, Michigan

“Your mother called late last night with the news. She wants you to see Dr. Parker right away instead of waiting for your next appointment.” Wintergirls, by Laurie Halse Anderson is a realistic fiction novel, about Lia (the main character) her family and her friends Cassie and Elijah. This is a book about eating disorders and hope. Lia’s parents are divorced; her mom is a doctor and her dad is a professor. Lia started her eating disorder when she was young with Cassie. It was basically an competition to see who could get skinny without dying. You will starve to read Wintergirls.

I think Anderson did well with letting the book end with a cliffhanger, which made me want to read another book. I liked how Anderson gave the title of the book Wintergirls but the book explains it. I felt that this book was good for the ages 13 and up according to how high the readers maturity level. I also think this book is meant for girls because the main character is a girl and its about girls, that could deal with this kind of drama. I felt that this book was depressing at times because of the Cassie’s death and how Lia treated herself with all the cutting and then not eating and lying that she did. But then again I thought it was a good book. This is wonderful book that you can read for hours if you like reading books that have a dark side to them, but then turn around in the end.