The Maze Runner by James Dashner | Teen Ink

The Maze Runner by James Dashner MAG

March 7, 2012
By Perrynomalactivity BRONZE, San Gabriel, California
Perrynomalactivity BRONZE, San Gabriel, California
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

What would you do if you woke up and knew nothing about yourself except your first name? What would you do if you woke up with 30 people looking at you? What would you do if you were trapped in a box and the only way you could get to freedom was to figure out the path through a maze? And what would you do if the maze's walls always changed during the night and were home to nightmarish creatures where one bite would send you into a coma for weeks?

This is the situation that Thomas is stuck in in The Maze Runner by James Dashner. When I finished reading, I realized it had exceeded all fantasy books I ever read. The ideas are far more original; it is suspenseful, and although its theme may seem overused, the book uses it differently than most. Unlike other fantasy books about magic and wizards and fairies, The Maze Runner contains a very interesting and original story line. As I read, no matter what page or chapter I was on, the story found a way to grab my attention. Just when you think everything is calming down – BAM! – a twist will leave you smiling.

For example, when Thomas seems to be getting the hang of life in the Glade, another person arrives. Since new people show up regularly, that in itself isn't surprising. But this time it is a girl. “Everything is about to change,” she says before collapsing. That same day, the natural barriers that protect the Gladers from the vicious creatures known as Grievers are gone, making everyone vulnerable. Within a matter of pages, Dashner changes a scene of peace into an outbreak of fear. This book will definitely keep you on the edge of your seat.

Finally, the story has a powerful (though repetitious) theme: sometimes you just have to follow your instincts and ignore what your brain, or society, says. The Maze Runner is a perfect example of this. I feel this is an overused theme since I always find the hero/heroine has to take a risk that results in something better, but Dashner makes The Maze Runner different from other stories. And although it may seem a bit confusing, I promise if you spend the time to read this book, you will not be ­disappointed.