The Maze Runner by James Dashner | Teen Ink

The Maze Runner by James Dashner MAG

By Perrynomalactivity BRONZE, San Gabriel, California
Perrynomalactivity BRONZE, San Gabriel, California

What would you do if you woke up and knew nothing about yourself except your first name? What would you do if you woke up with 30 people looking at you? What would you do if you were trapped in a box and the only way you could get to freedom was to figure out the path through a maze? And what would you do if the maze's walls always changed during the night and were home to nightmarish creatures where one bite would send you into a coma for weeks?

This is the situation that Thomas is stuck in in The Maze Runner by James Dashner. When I finished reading, I realized it had exceeded all fantasy books I ever read. The ideas are far more original; it is suspenseful, and although its theme may seem overused, the book uses it differently than most. Unlike other fantasy books about magic and wizards and fairies, The Maze Runner contains a very interesting and original story line. As I read, no matter what page or chapter I was on, the story found a way to grab my attention. Just when you think everything is calming down – BAM! – a twist will leave you smiling.

For example, when Thomas seems to be getting the hang of life in the Glade, another person arrives. Since new people show up regularly, that in itself isn't surprising. But this time it is a girl. “Everything is about to change,” she says before collapsing. That same day, the natural barriers that protect the Gladers from the vicious creatures known as Grievers are gone, making everyone vulnerable. Within a matter of pages, Dashner changes a scene of peace into an outbreak of fear. This book will definitely keep you on the edge of your seat.

Finally, the story has a powerful (though repetitious) theme: sometimes you just have to follow your instincts and ignore what your brain, or society, says. The Maze Runner is a perfect example of this. I feel this is an overused theme since I always find the hero/heroine has to take a risk that results in something better, but Dashner makes The Maze Runner different from other stories. And although it may seem a bit confusing, I promise if you spend the time to read this book, you will not be ­disappointed.

tonybaloney said...
on May. 11 2017 at 2:41 am
tonybaloney,
Thomas a teenager wakes up in in an elevator with no memory of who is or where he. All he knows is his name, he reaches the ground level when hundreds of kids gather. He has just entered the glade. He meets Alby the leader of the glade and newt the second in command. He learns where he is at and that there surrounded and the only way out is through the maze. The elevator comes up again but this time bringing a girl the only girl named Teresa. Teresa remembers Thomas but he has no memory of her. The others don’t like Thomas or Teresa as they question how they know each other. Thomas curious with the maze seeks to be a runner, he becomes a runner and learns how to map the maze. With Teresa Thomas says he’s found a way out. As he guides the kids through the ever so deadly maze they find their way out, only to be met by scientists that have been working on the maze. A special forces team moves in and kills all the scientists and recuse the kids.

on Jun. 7 2015 at 11:42 am
Passionate_Me, Karachi, Other

Believe you can and you're halfway there..

I thought of taking any of my favorite character through a therapy session..and prepare a piece of writing on how would it be like..I kind of loVe chuck.So will the therapy session work with Chuck??Any suggestions please??

desssss8 said...
on Apr. 22 2015 at 10:43 am
i agree with this. this wass a very good book

JuliaJohn said...
In The Maze Runner by James Dashner he demonstrates different types of themes.  His book uses different types of trust to overcome the maze and the demons that live inside it.  I think that this would be a great read for anyone because it uses suspense and loyalty between the characters in the book. In The Maze Runner by James Dashner he demonstrates different types of themes.  His book uses different types of trust to overcome the maze and the demons that live inside it.  I think that this would be a great read for anyone because it uses suspense and loyalty between the characters in the book. In The Maze Runner by James Dashner he demonstrates different types of themes.  His book uses different types of trust to overcome the maze and the demons that live inside it.  I think that this would be a great read for anyone because it uses suspense and loyalty between the characters in the book. I thought this book would be a very good read for anyone because it has different situations that make you think and question could this happen to me.  The plot in the book to me was different and unusual but it was interesting.  This book keeps you reading throughout the chapters.  To me I couldn’t put the book down until the end because it was such a page turner.I think that The Maze Runner should be read by anyone because it catches your eye when you first start reading.  It keeps you reading throughout the book and it becomes very suspenseful.  The end of the book is game changer because there are different trials Thomas and his “friends” go through.  In the end they may come out with a few cuts and bruises but there okay.  This is not the end though for their journey but they don’t know it yet.  

on Sep. 15 2014 at 11:31 am
this is very nice  

LastWarrior7 BRONZE, Floyds Knobs, Indiana

"There will only be one of you for all eternity, so be yourself Fearlessly"

You did a really good job telling what the book is about and why it is enticing and different, the only recomendation that I would have is to provide specifics into the authors writing style of the story.

Hobbles SILVER said...
Hobbles SILVER, Merritt, Other

Either you love bacon or your wrong!----unknown

I read the series and absolutley loved all the books. And, I really like your review. :) Keep up the great work!!!!

TARDISdriver PLATINUM, Colorado Springs, Colorado
This was a very good description of the book without giving too much away. I just got Death Cure yesterday and am eager to read it after loving Maze Runner and Scorch Trials. James Dashner is a brilliant author.

Potterhead_Is_amazing GOLD, Arvada, Colorado

Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, so long as one remembers to turn on the light.

I have read the maze runer and i tought you had a very acurate description of the book.good job!  

BloglessBlogger GOLD, Somerset, California

"Don't let the fear of striking out keep keep you from playing the game."

The Maze Runner and The Scorch Trials were good, but I found The Death Cure to be somewhat jumpy and wasn't a fan.