Fat Kid Rules the World by K. L. Going | Teen Ink

Fat Kid Rules the World by K. L. Going

Fat Kid Rules the World

"...That's what anything great is all about. We're all just stuffing our faces, no matter what we look like, and people need to figure that out..."

Troy Billings is an obese, unaccepted teenager with no self esteem. Curt MacCrae is a somewhat homeless, notorious teenager. They were from two different worlds, but in the end that didn’t matter at all.

‘Fat Kid Rules the World’ is an intriguing and addictive book about obesity, music, suicide, and drug abuse. The story’s main character, Troy, is a 300 pound sixteen year old fed up with the disapproving stares from his peers. Confused about his identity and convinced that nobody in New York could care less about a fat kid, he finds himself at a subway, contemplating throwing his body at the next oncoming train. Than filthy, notorious punk rocker Curt begins to talk to Troy, and committing suicide soon becomes a lost thought.

Before long, worrying about weight becomes the least of Troy’s concerns. After treating Curt to a meal for saving his life, Troy assumed that he would never see Curt again. However, Curt followed him home like a stray dog, welcomed himself into Troy’s home and told Troy’s father and brother that the ‘real’ reason they had taken so long to get home was because they were practicing for their new band called ‘Rage/Tectonic.’

Troy had no idea just how serious Curt was about starting a band, and when he figures out he’s going to be playing drums in front of hundreds of people, he wonders why he didn’t jump in front of the train when he had the chance.

At first, I questioned how exciting this book would be. The title threw me off, making me think I would be reading some childish comedy about a fat kid who literally rules the world. However, when I opened up the book and read the first paragraph I just knew this would be a great story. In fact, I found it so great after a while that I ended up crying twice....and that doesn’t happen often. I read at least fifty books a year, but the heart wrenching emotions I got from this book quickly made this one of my favorites.

This book touches many issues and shines a brand new light on them. It’s hard not to fall in love with and feel sorry for all of the characters in the story. It’s been a long time since I’ve read a book that makes me reach inside of myself and ask, “Am I, too, hiding behind an imaginary wall?”

Because of Going’s efforts to be realistic, teenagers can easily connect with the story. However, not everyone in America can accept mild sexual content and cursing words in a Young Adult novel, leading to the banning of this book in various schools. Through the use of her website, www.klgoing.com, and way of mouth, Going has been trying to put the banning to an end.

I would recommend this book to everyone, and definitely to people who want to read a realistic story.

Fat Kid Rules the World is a really inspiring book. The very moment I finished reading it, I held it in my hands tight and closed it with a smile on my face. It's one of those books that inspires someone like me to write stories with messages, and I hope it does the same for you.

If you'd like to express yourself, you could always join my site: writershaven.tk