A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron | Teen Ink

A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron

June 7, 2012
By Ryan T BRONZE, Alton, New Hampshire
Ryan T BRONZE, Alton, New Hampshire
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

A Dog’s Purpose








Tom Doherty Associates, 2010, 319 pp.
W. Bruce Cameron















ISBN 978-0-7653-6676-4


Have you ever questioned what exactly a dog’s purpose in life is? Why do they act like they do? Taking you through a magnificent adventure, Cameron answers important questions about dogs.
Starting out as a stray dog, the dog travels through a series of lives in order to find his purpose. The book is great for readers who are animal lovers. It shows the true meaning of dogs’ lives while doing it in an exciting way.
In one life, the dog learns one thing and remembers the experience in his next life. He uses the teachings as he goes on. It’s enjoyable because it’s not one story, it’s a mixture. As a stray he learns to escape, becomes a family dog and learns to love, and then a police dog learning to find people. In the end, he uses it all to find his purpose. The book is depressing in some parts but often very hysterical in others, such as how the dog is always raving about cats. If you have ever had a pet, there are several places to connect with the book and understand the plot. I kept saying, “Yep, that’s my dog” throughout the whole thing. Cameron really makes you feel like you’re there and makes the book very interesting. You never want to put the book down.
You also realize the relationship between dog and owner. The dog expresses his point of view in life. He becomes loyal to humans and learns one very important thing. Love. Love never dies and friends are always there for us when we need them.