Ida B by Katherine Hannigan | Teen Ink

Ida B by Katherine Hannigan

By kattfacebabe BRONZE, Ridgewood, New York
kattfacebabe BRONZE, Ridgewood, New York

Calmness, tranquility and hope. These are the feelings that reading “Ida B” by Katherine Hannigan will hit you -- like a sudden door in the middle of a crowded hallway, leaving you no choice but to go through the door and accept these overwhelming feelings. Katherine Hannigan had written this hope themed book in 2004. Katherine Hannigan has always had an interest in writing, teaching and art. She seems to put those interests to use after being inspired at a public reading by another author. Katherine lives in Western New York State, a place with hills and valleys, which is the perfect setting to write about nature and love.

The three main characters are Ida B , her mother Ida, her unnamed father live in the middle of an orchard with their two pets, a dog named Rufus and a cat named Lulu. Rufus, Lulu and Ida B are very close. Ida B spends most of her time talking with her pets. Ida B is homeschooled; therefore, she has a very close relationship with her mother and father, and spends a lot of time in the orchard helping her parents taking care of their valley, the trees and the plants. Nature is a huge part of her family, and is taken seriously. She spends a lot of time talking to the trees and brooks, but that all changes when her mother is diagnosed with cancer. Her family is forced to sell the orchard to afford to pay for her treatment. She then is forced to attend public school, for the first time in her life. After shutting everyone out, will she ever be able to give love again? Or even learn to accept it?
This novel is by far one of the most hopes and inspirational, yet simple, easy to read novel I’ve ever read. This novel taught me many things about getting through tough life situations. Words you should say, actions you shouldn’t do, and how to handle myself even when life turns terrible, which is what Ida B struggled with throughout the novel. I’d personally recommend this book to anyone who’s facing a tough time, has lost all hope and just needs to find some faith.

Braidy said...
Beautiful writing.