In a Glass Grimmly by Adam Gidwitz | Teen Ink

In a Glass Grimmly by Adam Gidwitz

February 21, 2013
By chey1212 BRONZE, Harrisville, West Virginia
chey1212 BRONZE, Harrisville, West Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
how ya doin


My view of the theme of the book would be that it was person vs. evil. The setting placed in a sticky, salamander filled well, up above the fluffy clouds, in a castle, and at the goblin king’s castle. The book is intended for anyone who loves such fiction novels. The author, Adam Gidwitz, was trying to entertain any reader at several different ages with very descriptive writing. In my unique point of view, I would give this book one of the top ratings. Though the purpose was just to entertain the reader, I feel as though they were pushed to flee the book.

The book was published in 2010 by Adam Gidwitz, a writer of many humorous tales. The author, Adam Gidwitz, would stop in the middle of the story and give you hints or warnings for upcoming events in the story. Adam uses the main characters as jack, Jill, and a frog named Frog. The characters each had a different aura coming from their corpses. The story started with one side of the story, then leading to the second and third story. The story combined all three to make a fourth story, which was as terrifying as any other book I had ever read. Jack, Jill, and Frog were sent out on a treacherous journey through the upper level of earth. They were in search for a humongous glass trophy that would grant any wish. The author used words to scare the reader and tried to persuade the viewer to stop reading at that very moment. A phrase he used was “Their faces were all different, but everyone looked like a man of about fifty or fifty-five some fat, some thin, but all tired, overworked. And hungry. For something.”

My favorite qualities from the book were the interactions between the fictional characters. A quote that proves the fact that the reader was trying to scare the reader out of the book was “What follows is the most disgusting thing I have ever heard in any tale I have ever come across. I considered cutting it completely from this record. I feel sick just thinking about it. Writing it down for you was, shall we say, a harrowing experience. But, as I promised to tell you the true story of Jack and Jill, I must include what follows. You, though, have no obligation to actually read it.” In comparison to other books with the same genre, I would have to say this action packed story would have to overlap all the previous books.

Though the purpose was just to entertain the reader, I feel as though they were pushed to flee the book. My main points from the story were that Jack and Jill were cousins but rarely talked. Jill left home because of her mother’s beauty, and Jack left home because of the neighborhood boys were teasing him. They both set on a journey, with a frog named Frog, for an evil witch that eventually will break her promise with the two children.

In a Glass Grimmly was a very interesting, driving book that everyone should read.