The Secret Life Of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd | Teen Ink

The Secret Life Of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd MAG

The Secret Life of Bees is a meaningful story of racism, humanity, and divine female rights. This book absolutely grabbed me and made me read. As my eyes sprinted over the words, I began to feel the characters’ pain and emotions.

This spiritual, adventurous story follows 14-year-old Lily Owens, whose life has been circling around a terrible, blurred memory of her mother. It is a uniquely written drama that grabs your heart and keeps you turning the pages.

One hot summer afternoon, Lily’s mother and father begin screaming at each other. Lily’s mother is shot and killed, and Lily is left with a harsh, ­neglectful father. Her only companion is her caretaker, Rosaleen, a fierce-hearted black woman who cooks, cleans, and acts as a stand-in mother.

The story is set during the year of the Civil Rights Act, 1964, in South Carolina. Lily decides she
is tired of living with her ­father, and with Rosaleen, she flees to Tiburon, South Caro­lina, a small town that holds
the secrets of her mother’s past. While walking through town they are taken in by three black women beekeepers who introduce Lily to a wild life of bees, new people, and the Black Madonna who rules over the household as a symbol of the Virgin Mary.

Lily’s mission is to find out about her mother’s mysterious past and who she really was. Bravery. Racism. Love. Those are the words that represent this story best.

ChrisPBacon said...
on Sep. 6 2016 at 6:22 pm
This is a great sleeping pill...

Rider1 said...
on May. 12 2014 at 10:29 am
This book sucks

on Nov. 28 2012 at 8:52 pm
Deej6595 BRONZE, Billerica, Massachusetts

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.

I love this book and the description was short and brief. The movie is accuratley portrayed as well...

on Sep. 19 2012 at 10:04 am
MarieAntoinette2014 DIAMOND, Scottsburg, Indiana

Isn't it ironic? We ignore the ones who adore us, adore the ones who ignore us, love the ones who hurt us, and hurt the ones that love us.

SPOILER ALERT!!!! :(

on Jun. 15 2012 at 7:36 pm
RainyWriter GOLD, Redmond, Washington

Only the smart, talented, amazing, and insane are remembered in history.

While the review was kinda short and could've had a few more enticing details, it gave me a nice, brief overview of the basic idea of the book. I've seen the trailers for the movie adaption, I had no idea it was a book! Something to put on my "To Read Over the Summer" List.

bluhs said...
on May. 24 2012 at 12:27 am
bluhs, E, Alabama
I loved this book!

on Apr. 10 2012 at 5:02 pm
maizyiscrazy GOLD, Washington, District Of Columbia

I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe in miracles. ~Audrey Hepburn

SPOILER ALERT!

And yes, who am I kidding, I so did.

on Feb. 4 2012 at 2:16 pm
SuperAngel224 SILVER, Cape Coral, Florida
I agree 100% with this review. This was a fantastic novel, and remains one of my favorites! Did anybody else cry a little when May died?

on Nov. 30 2011 at 10:19 am
Celeste_N. SILVER, Balch Springs, Texas

Your just mad that your not a rainbow unicorn with ninja monkeys that can talk to gummy bears(:

it was also a great movie

michelle101 said...
on Jun. 6 2011 at 9:20 pm
I totally agree with everyone, this book is inspiring in all the literary themes it witholds, with the turn of every page it just gets better and better. GREAT BOOK.......MUST READ!

on May. 16 2011 at 8:30 am
AthenaBook SILVER, Arlington, Virginia

You should not live the way the world asks, but the way that you ask of yourself.

Wow- definatley sounds very good and amazing- I'll be sure to check it out! Your article was very well done- descriptive, but not giving away the entire plot in the story. Now I have a chance to read it without knowing exactly what happens. Some advice would be to also omit the part where Lily runs away- I thought that was releasing a little to much information, and thought the article could have been better if you left it a little more mysterious as you did in the beginning and the end.  

browneyedcat said...
on Apr. 24 2011 at 6:32 pm
browneyedcat, Melbourne Beach, Florida
I love that book so much.  so inspiring and eye opening. A must read!!!!

on Apr. 24 2011 at 9:05 am
Coryydee PLATINUM, Chambersburg, Pennsylvania

"I'm strong, but I break. I'm stubborn, and I make plenty of mistakes." - Kelly Clarkson
"I care too much, and you care enough to leave." - Kelly Clarkson

I watched the movie as soon as it came out. Of course, I was younger and I didn't fully appreciate it as well as I could have. I read the book in my AP language class last year, and I must say- it's one of the best books I've ever read.

on Apr. 2 2011 at 7:07 pm
Alice_in_Wonderland GOLD, San Clemente, California

“I could give up, I could stay stuck, or I could move on, So I put one foot front of the other, No no no nothing’s gonna break my stride, “ –David Archuleta (The Other Side of Down)

I agree! This is a really good book! I am reading it right now in my English class. :) Great job.

peachesjk said...
on Feb. 17 2011 at 3:53 pm
peachesjk, Syracuse, New York

"You never know what you got 'til its gone, but you never know what you're missing 'til it comes along"

this is an absolute amazing story, book and movie. anyone who appreciates well written stories should definitely check out secret life of bees.=]

on Jan. 4 2011 at 4:15 pm
Supergirl101 BRONZE, Portsmouth, Virginia

"When people who don't know you hate you, that's when you're at your best."

Wow I heard of the movie and your review makes me want to read it.

on Oct. 24 2010 at 1:29 pm
EmilyClark BRONZE, Wayne, Pennsylvania
I love this book. The characters are fantastic and the symbolism profound. 

on Aug. 25 2010 at 8:40 am
DiamondsIntheGrass GOLD, Martinsville, New Jersey

Worry is simply a misuse of the imagination.

your review makes me want to read the book! sounds really dramatic. could you take a look at some of my stuff? thanks.

crlygrl13579 said...
on Jul. 12 2010 at 2:52 pm
I had to read that for summer reading Pre-AP English...I would recommend that for any lovesick or not girl in the world <3

on Jun. 20 2010 at 6:03 pm
jbutterfly10 GOLD, Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania

There is a time for everything under the sun:~

I read that. I loved it soooooo much. It made me cry:)