The Secret Life Of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd | Teen Ink

The Secret Life Of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd MAG

The Secret Life of Bees is a meaningful story of racism, humanity, and divine female rights. This book absolutely grabbed me and made me read. As my eyes sprinted over the words, I began to feel the characters’ pain and emotions.

This spiritual, adventurous story follows 14-year-old Lily Owens, whose life has been circling around a terrible, blurred memory of her mother. It is a uniquely written drama that grabs your heart and keeps you turning the pages.

One hot summer afternoon, Lily’s mother and father begin screaming at each other. Lily’s mother is shot and killed, and Lily is left with a harsh, ­neglectful father. Her only companion is her caretaker, Rosaleen, a fierce-hearted black woman who cooks, cleans, and acts as a stand-in mother.

The story is set during the year of the Civil Rights Act, 1964, in South Carolina. Lily decides she
is tired of living with her ­father, and with Rosaleen, she flees to Tiburon, South Caro­lina, a small town that holds
the secrets of her mother’s past. While walking through town they are taken in by three black women beekeepers who introduce Lily to a wild life of bees, new people, and the Black Madonna who rules over the household as a symbol of the Virgin Mary.

Lily’s mission is to find out about her mother’s mysterious past and who she really was. Bravery. Racism. Love. Those are the words that represent this story best.

bokworm SILVER said...
bokworm SILVER, Moreno Valley, California

life is gets easier by what you do not by what you don't

loved the move didnt know it was a book ill try to get ot this one

on Mar. 25 2010 at 5:43 am
taintedannex GOLD, Hong Kong, Other

The truth is that at some point, everyone's going to hurt you. You just have to decide who's worth the pain.

Some say having something to lose is what makes you vulnerable. I believe that having something to lose only makes you stronger.

Ahh! Now I know she died! ;) Haha, in any case, I guess that means I'll have to check out the movie too :)

Hey, if you don't mind, could you check out some of my work?

bosss ldy said...
Ummmm i think this wass a goood gooood

movie and i loved it it made me cry win girl died but i can keep on waching it tell me eye are redddd.

on Mar. 24 2010 at 6:09 am
taintedannex GOLD, Hong Kong, Other

This is a bee-autifully written book (excuse the bad pun); a glowing review of a heart warming book I for one, now cannot wait to get my hands on.

Kelly Johnson BRONZE, Silver Spring, Maryland
I am reading this right now, and I would have been finished a long time ago if I wasn't supposed to annotate it:( Other than the killjoy of writing all over the powerful and meaningful words of Sue Monk Kidd, I am really enjoying this book. Good Review!

imxbethxrose said...
I loved this book it's a great story because i can relate to loosing my mother to gun fire. the movie itself makes you have tears for days! If youhavent read the book you must do so, or at least see the movie!

SilentQ said...
on Jul. 5 2009 at 12:42 am
SilentQ, Glendale, Missouri
The last paragraph is a little .. immature and its not obvious that the third paragraph is the memory you're talking about, but otherwise it is a pretty good review.

Blcky588 said...
When I read The Secret Life of Bees I didn't expect to like it, but I was pleasently surprised to be incorrect.

Voice said...
on Jun. 22 2009 at 5:55 am
Voice, FortWalton, Florida
I want to see this movie, all the sisterhoods so sweet. [LIKE HONEY] ;)

Keev said...
good

dude said...
on May. 20 2009 at 5:54 am
this was absolutely by far the best book ive ever read even though its the only

PrettyGurl said...
I loved this book it is my all time favorite!This book was touching and really good.I highly recommend this to a friend! Can't wait to see the movie!

Mrs.TRC said...
This was a really great novle and the movie was amzing i love the Secret life of the bees

LainaEds91 said...
Good Job! This review really makes me want to read the book. I hope the movie lives up to it.