The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini | Teen Ink

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

August 6, 2013
By Anonymous

In history class we learn about so many wars, but do we really know the whole story. We may know who won and how, but does any of that really matter if you don’t know how the people who are just like you and me are affected by the war. That is a completely different story all together. But, Khaled Hosseini, the author of The Kite Runner, lets the reader jump into the lives of people during the war in Afghanistan, which includes the home of the main characters Amir, Hassan, Baba, and Ali in a town called Kabul. By reading and feeling everything these characters go through we develop a different understanding of the war.
This heartfelt story begins when a boy by the name of Amir goes through the journey of a lifetime trying to survive in a town where ethnicity has become more important than friendship. Hassan and Amir have lived in the same house together since they were born. They did everything together, but Hassaras have never really been wanted in Kabul or anywhere else in Afghanistan so they aren’t treated very nicely. In fact they are mostly hated and used as servants. Now because Hassan is a hassara will Amir and Hassan continue to be good friends? Amir and Hassan has been through many bad times, but one thing stands out the most and will forever haunt Amir for the rest of his life. Hassan and Ali leave the house belonging to Baba because it only seemed fit to leave after such events. Soon after they have left a war begins that is so harsh Baba and Amir leave to America.
America, a place that is free of war but where the hope of one day returning their hometown in Kabul is strong. Amir however, tries to move on which is quite a hard task for him especially since his dad, Baba, is very sick. Amir eventually starts a new life with someone, but he never forgets about his old life and when the opportunity comes for him to go back to visit one of his old friends he goes and comes back with a different person, someone that he owes everything to.
The Kite Runner is a very sincere story about a young boy Amir has an incredible but life changing experience because a few cruel kids decided that war and slaughter is the answer.



JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 0 comments.