Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox- by Eoin Colfer | Teen Ink

Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox- by Eoin Colfer

October 2, 2008
By Shiva Ambardar BRONZE, Great Falls, Virginia
Shiva Ambardar BRONZE, Great Falls, Virginia
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

A book I read over the summer was Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox by Eoin Colfer. I read the first five books in the series over a span of about five years after being introduced by my cousin. I really liked them all. The humor is great and I love the creativity of the author in coming up with an explanation for leprechauns- Lower Elements Police Reconnaissance, or LEPrecon. The depth of the characters amazes me and their individual sets of characteristics are great. When the sixth and final book came out, I devoured it in a day.
Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox starts with Artemis returning from a jaunt into the future to find himself the elder to twin baby boys. Soon after coming back, his mother is found with symptoms of Spelltropy, a fairy disease spread through magic. From his elf friend Holly Short, he learns the only cure is in the brain fluid of a silky sifaka lemur. The one “minor” problem is that the lemur is extinct, caused by Artemis 8 years previously in a fit of childish rage.
Holly and Artemis are then forced to go back in time to find the lemur. If they manage to find it within a three day limit (any longer and they will be stuck in that time) they will call the warlock N01 to take them back. During the trip they encounter Mulch, a fairy dwarf from past adventures, who aids them in their search. Though they find the lemur, Holly is captured at the hands of the younger Artemis. However, she escapes and Artemis discovers a long lost enemy. The enemy then follows Holly and Artemis, who now have the lemur, back to Artemis’s manor. Finally, Artemis outsmarts the enemy and incapacitates her for the fairy police to find.
One of my favorite parts of the whole series that culminates at the end of this book is Artemis’s gradual humanization. In the first book, he cares only for himself and immediate relations, going so far as to kidnap a sentient fairy and hold her for ransom. During the next four books, he (much to his chagrin) develops a conscience and subconsciously cares for his new friends. In the sixth book, he calls the lemur by a name, Jayjay, and develops a bond with him.



3 Interesting Quotes

“Not many kraken left now,” commented Artemis. “Seven, by my reckoning.”
“Seven?” said Holly, surprised. “We’re only tracking six.”
“Ah, yes, six. I meant six. New suit?” he said changing the subject a little too quickly.

The knowledge that Artemis has about the seventh kraken is instrumental in the defeat of his enemy.

That was it. The dream. What had it been about?
It was just out of reach. The images already fading.
A crafty smile twitched at the corner of his mouth.
Fairies. Something about fairies.

This is my favorite quote, from the mind of the Artemis of the past after being mindwiped. This gives him the initiative to start the events of the first book, and so this series is a cycle.

“Its over, Opal. JayJay is in Haven by now. You can’t get him. Turn yourself in, and I won’t have to hurt you.” Artemis said. Opal’s features were twisted in rage. “Hurt me! Hurt me?!?” She dashed the toy monkey against the rock until dented and twisted works fell out.

A metallic voice issued from the speaker: “History will remember this day… history will… History will remember this day.”

I thought this quote was funny. After being tricked using a stuffed monkey as a decoy, Artemis’s enemy goes crazy with anger; she is additionally humiliated when the mechanical monkey recites a programmed phrase. The enemy is about to kill Artemis when he tricks the enemy again and defeats her for the LEP to find.

I think everyone over ten should read this book. It has minimal swearing, maybe three minor words in a book. All the characters are excellently well-rounded and presented. The whole idea is really fun- a teen criminal mastermind who plans to regain a fortune one way or another. When fairies get involved, it just becomes that much better. I am in stitches at Artemis’s wry humor and wit and Colfer’s imagery is perfect.

My favorite character in this series is Captain Holly Short. It was hard to decide between a few, but she won in the end. She has an indomitable spirit and a strong sense of right and wrong. Several times her friendship is tested. Many characters owe her their lives, and she owes some her own. She is funny and has a rebellious spirit which makes it great to read about her.