The Namesake | Teen Ink

The Namesake

November 10, 2013
By Anonymous

A name is among the first pieces of the identity bequeathed to us by our parents. The naming process is a difficult one. Books, websites, friends, family, and magazines all offer advice on finding the “perfect baby name”. After all, no parent wants to pick the wrong name, marring a child’s chances of fitting in or becoming successful with a terrible name.

This struggle is the initial premise of The Namesake, Jhumpra Lahiri’s 2003 novel based on a novella published in The New Yorker. A Bengali couple, Ashima and Ashoke Ganguli, struggle to chose a name for their newly born son. Their struggle is aggravated when the Bengali naming process cannot be carried out because they contradict with American laws.

The themes of cultural disparity and searching for one’s identity are revisited as the Ganguli’s son, Gogol, grows up. The feeling of being different, whether it is due to one’s odd name or cultural group or another characteristic, expressed by Gogol (who later goes by Nikhil) resonated with me strongly. What was even more compelling was Gogol’s perspective on life after changing his name – unchanged.

Jhumpra’s beautiful prose and rich description captures the reader. The reader is able to emphasize with Gogol through his triumphs and failures, through moments of sadness and ecstasy.

The Namesake is the perfect book to curl up in bed with on a cold winter’s night. Lahiri will transport you to exotic Calcutta, India and to the suburbs of Boston. She will allow you to look in on awkward first dates and wild college parties. Most importantly, Lahiri will provide you with a kindred spirit in Gogol Ganguli.