The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini | Teen Ink

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini MAG

November 2, 2008
By ShanzehK BRONZE, Karachi, Other
ShanzehK BRONZE, Karachi, Other
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Khaled Hosseini's first novel is beautifully written and riveting. Set in his beloved country, Afghanistan, in the 1970s, and later in America, this heartwarming story revolves around a boy named Amir, his father, and their servant, Hassan, who is Amir's friend.

Amir, who is constantly struggling to earn his father's love, finally succeeds by winning a kite-flying competition. But on that day, he witnesses a horrible act and does nothing to stop it – a secret that troubles him for the rest of his life. His friendship with Hassan is affected and Amir slyly gets rid of Hassan.

In the midst of this, Afghan­istan is invaded by Russia, ­separating Amir and Hassan completely. Amir starts over in America, his secret still haunting him. One phone call from Afghanistan takes him back to his home country where he learns a shocking secret about his past and tries to make things right.

Hosseini skillfully paints a picture of Afghanistan and its rich culture, a beautiful country torn apart by war, with scenes of a couple being stoned to death, a man selling his fake leg to feed his children, and a boy forced to dance like a monkey to entertain others. The prose is elegant and rich with detail that give us insight into Afghan ­culture and traditions.

The story does not focus as much on politics and war as it does on the lives of those affected. It is a tale of family and friendship, loyalty and salvation amid the horrors of war. The characters are so realistic that long after finishing the book, you will be thinking of sensitive Amir with his insecurities, his father, and Hassan, who is my favorite. The twist at the end is worthy of an Agatha Christie novel. While reading this powerful book, you will feel many emotions, crying your eyes out at parts, but in the end, you will cry tears of happiness.

This book is a must-read, ­regardless of age, gender, or nationality. It delivers a universal message that will move even the coldest heart.