A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks | Teen Ink

A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks MAG

November 17, 2008
By Anonymous

Set in Beaufort, North Carolina, in the 1950s, A Walk to Remember tells the story of 17-year-old Landon Carter, who learns to live life differently after meeting Jamie Sullivan. Initially, Landon is the kind of guy who cares too much about what people think of him. But when Jamie comes into the picture, he only cares about being with her.

Things are looking up for Landon, until Jamie drops a bomb that changes their lives forever.

In A Walk to Remember, the characters take time to get to know each other and end up falling in love. Like other novelists of realistic fiction, Nicholas Sparks emotionally engages the reader. A Walk to Remember ­reminded me of all of Lurlene McDaniel’s novels, because both authors use themes of love and death.

A Walk to Remember is a book that you will not want to put down until you’ve reached the last page, because Sparks draws the reader in with emotions, descriptions, love, and death. For those who enjoy novels that touch your heart and make you think about real life, A Walk to Remember is perfect for you.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 62 comments.


cheydance said...
on Aug. 3 2011 at 2:33 pm
I absolutly love this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have read almost every book nicholas sparks ever wrote he is my favorite writerand i love how his books just pull you inside of them. I can never put his books down with out finishing them if you have never read this book then i highly reconmend it, it is sad , happy, and all around amazing you really should read it. But if you think that i am just another obsessed fan then don't take my word and prove me wrong and read it and see if you like it or not :D

Embergem said...
on Jul. 19 2011 at 1:47 pm
This book is so amazing! I had to do a project on this for school andI got an A++++++!!!!!

on Jul. 12 2011 at 6:28 pm
AllysonMarie GOLD, Gardner, Massachusetts
12 articles 25 photos 43 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Only an Aunt can give hugs like a mother, can keep secrets like a sister, and share love like a friend.”

He is an amazing writer, I cant even explaine it. I idolize him! Just when I was giving up writing and my art work his book helped me decide not too. But, Im still not sure how. I was reading it, then before I knew it was writing a poem, i can thank him for everything <3

on Jun. 20 2011 at 6:26 pm
inkblot13 PLATINUM, Auburn, New York
41 articles 1 photo 160 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If I knew where poems came from, I'd go there"




- Michael Langley, 'Staying Alive'

I love this book!!!!! :D It's so sad, and N. Sparks really draws the reader in

Sandy said...
on Jun. 8 2011 at 7:54 am
I'm looking forward to reading A Walk to Remember. Its a prize on Freado, a free book winning site and I'm bidding for it. Fingers crossed, I hope I win. :)

on May. 24 2011 at 7:41 am
hanbanann4501 GOLD, Wakeman, Ohio
16 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
laugh with friends, love with all of your heart and live life to the fullest. You never know when your first chance could be your last to make mistakes.

This book was amazing, it touches your heart with such strength that its almost impossible to forget the thought of losing somebody that you love with all of your heart and would so dearly miss. Just to know that one could love another so much makes you understand what it is that people so long for. this review was very good, i love that it talks about the most important parts of the book.

squiggles said...
on May. 11 2011 at 7:13 pm
I love the book!! Its the best ever! I didnt really like the movie cuz it didnt follow the book much. dont get me wrong i still loved it but the book was much much better. Thnks Nicholas Sparks for a wonderful book.!!!!!!!!!!!

GilyG said...
on Jan. 17 2011 at 4:31 pm
GilyG, West Fork, Arkansas
0 articles 2 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
\"People observe the colors of a day only at its beginnings and ends, but to me it\'s quite clear that a day merges through a multitude of shades and intonations with each passing moment. A single hour can consist of thousands of different colors. Waxy yellows, cloud-spot blues. Murky darkness. In my line of work, I make it a point to notice them.\"
— Markus Zusak (The Book Thief)

This is a wonderful review! I like how it explains what it's about without giving too much away. I recently read this book and I loved it! It was a very emotional book!

Grace said...
on Dec. 4 2010 at 9:55 pm
I've read the book and watched the movie. Personally the book is not as sad as the movie. The ending of the film version was so heartbreaking. The book gave readers a little hope.

on Nov. 6 2010 at 1:37 pm
PowerIsInTheFuture, Grand Blanc, Michigan
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
Cant find success without trying

I love this book Ive read it five times already and thats saying a lot for someone who cant stick to reading a book let alone finish reading one.

on Oct. 14 2010 at 6:39 pm
lightningscar- BRONZE, Stratford, Other
3 articles 0 photos 32 comments

Favorite Quote:
There are many causes for which I would die for, but none for which I would kill.
-Ghandi

*Favourited* I love this review!!!

lexies808 said...
on Oct. 8 2010 at 8:55 pm
i love this book it is the best book ever i made my boyfriend set down with me and we both read it togatherr

jennifur GOLD said...
on Oct. 2 2010 at 6:22 pm
jennifur GOLD, Youngstown, Pennsylvania
12 articles 4 photos 33 comments

Favorite Quote:
"even after all this time the sun never says to the earth 'you owe me.' see what happens with a love like that? it lights up the sky." -hafiz

I actually have this movie and it's pretty amazing. Your review is truly amazing and captures the elegance of the movie itself.

on Sep. 29 2010 at 6:33 am
taintedannex GOLD, Hong Kong, Other
15 articles 5 photos 166 comments

Favorite Quote:
The truth is that at some point, everyone's going to hurt you. You just have to decide who's worth the pain.

Some say having something to lose is what makes you vulnerable. I believe that having something to lose only makes you stronger.

I've been debating whether to read the book for a while now. The title always got me, but the back of the book always bored me, and although people have told me it's a good book, I never really... bothered with it. However, because you did mention Lurlene McDaniel... :) I love her books - I'm glad I've found someone else who does too. Most people I know have no idea who she is. Very well-written review, overall :)

on Sep. 7 2010 at 11:34 pm
splinterstar BRONZE, Arcadia, California
1 article 0 photos 10 comments
The movie was SOOOOO good. It's my all time favorite!

on Sep. 7 2010 at 12:45 am
shayna101 SILVER, Carlsbad, California
5 articles 0 photos 35 comments
I am probably the number one biggest Nicholas Sparks fan and I have read all his books. This is by far one of my all time favorites (following shortly behind the last song, dear john and the notebook) Brilliant story with an amazing setting ( I loove North Carolina. I became obsessed because all his books take place there so I did research. haha I am so obbsessed with NS its not even funny :) ) I love the characters and easy read. I couldn't put this book down and I cried for hours when it was over. (both because I was sad it was over and because of what happens). The writing reminds me a little of Catcher in the Rye. Only in this book though, none of his others. I love Landon ( I literally fell in love with him! haha) and I think of this book all the time. Nice review, short but to the point and simple. Great job. My only suggest is to say how amazzzing it is!!!

on Aug. 16 2010 at 11:37 am
writergirl13 GOLD, Cherry Hill, New Jersey
11 articles 8 photos 261 comments

Favorite Quote:
All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

I haven't read this book, but I think I'll have to. I am, as you said, the kind of person who "enjoys novels that touch your heart and make you think about real life" so I'll definitely have to pick that one up!

P.S.: No offense to the author or anybody!!! But does anyone else think it's somewhat ironic that a man is writing all these great, popular love stories? He must be really sensitive (in the good way!!) :)

 


on Jul. 25 2010 at 9:42 am
DiamondsIntheGrass GOLD, Martinsville, New Jersey
14 articles 1 photo 278 comments

Favorite Quote:
Worry is simply a misuse of the imagination.

i read the book, and it was nice... tragiclly sad.  but i have to say that the last song (also by nicholas sparks) was better.

on May. 20 2010 at 4:21 pm
ThatClarinetPerson SILVER, Tequesta, Florida
8 articles 0 photos 226 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life. Don't talk to me about life."
~Marvin the Paranoid Android (from the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy series)
Statistical analysis suggests that i am probably in tune with someone
(hahahahaha! I love this cause i'm never ever ever in tune >o

i love this book but it is soooo sad. it almost made me cry :'(

on May. 20 2010 at 10:00 am
WildFlOwEr1221 BRONZE, Walnut Cove, North Carolina
4 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
the reason i punched the review mirror with her fist is cause starting now im never looking back

i have seen the movie and read the bok like a million times i want to buy the movie but cant find it any where