The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks | Teen Ink

The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks MAG

November 17, 2008
By Anonymous

Set in the 1920s in North Carolina, The Notebook tells a story of young love. Noah and Allie fall for each other one summer, but they come from different worlds where their love is forbidden.

After a 14-year separation, Allie sees the newspaper ad of a young man with a house for sale. She decides to visit him, not knowing why he returned. Noah is shocked but pleased by her visit and welcomes her into his house. After they spend a couple days together, their feelings emerge and they must make some difficult decisions.

Author Nicholas Sparks focuses on the themes of love and choices. As Noah tries to regain what he and Allie once had, she struggles with telling him she’s engaged. But she begins to realize that her feelings for Noah never died.

When her trip ends, Allie must decide whom she loves. “Can you really leave without looking back?” Noah asks. “I don’t know. Probably not,” she replies. With tears running down her face she finally chooses.

The style of The Notebook is similar to Lurlene McDaniel’s books: both use detail that makes you imagine everything as if you were there. Sparks focuses on characters’ thoughts and feelings, unlike McDaniel, who uses more dialogue.

The Notebook is a classic tale of love lost and regained after many years, and is a truly romantic and touching story. This is an amazing book that captures your attention and keeps you guessing what will happen next. You will never want to put it down.