Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story by Ben Carson and Cecil Murphey | Teen Ink

Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story by Ben Carson and Cecil Murphey MAG

Do you like real, life-­changing books? Then Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story is perfect for you. This inspiring autobiography tells the touching story of an underprivileged boy who grows up to be a successful surgeon.

Reading about what Carson went through will make you think about what you need to do to get where you want to be. You’ll meet all the great people who helped Carson get where he is today. Each chapter is a new adventure from his childhood, college years, and all the way to his adulthood.

He writes so vividly; it feels as if you are growing up with him. Since he’s a doctor, he ­uses a lot medical terms, and he uses old-fashioned words like “funky” and “capped.” Despite the vocabulary, this is a big book of life lessons.

I love this book because it ­reminds me of my own life, ­except for some obvious ­differences. It will inspire you just like it did me.

on Jun. 19 2012 at 12:07 am
ObstreperousOne BRONZE, Cherry Valley, California

"Affection is responsible for nine-tenths of whatever solid and durable happiness there is in our lives."
-C.S. Lewis

This is an excellent book. Ben Carson tells an inspiring rags-to-riches story. And the best part is that it's all true. I went to hear him speak at a medical conference once. Brilliant man.

on May. 6 2012 at 6:47 am
PurpOreos SILVER, Macomb, Michigan

Keep smiling...Because life is a beautiful thing. And there is so much to smile about!
"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing" Benjamin Franklin

I saw the moive and It was really good. I def will check out the book!

Good Reveiw

Pamplemousse SILVER, Gilbert, Arizona

"To be happy, Don't do whatever you like, Like whatever you do" -James Barrie (author of Peter Pan)

My parents originally bought this book for my brother after we watched the movie on tv, but i was the one who read it and I loved it! Its such an inspiring story, and because of it I realized that biographies and non fiction can actually be really interesting.

on Jan. 17 2012 at 8:34 am
beautifulspirit PLATINUM, Alpharetta, Georgia

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

I have heard of Ben Carson---the first surgeon to successfully separate siamese twins. I think I would like to read this.

rainbowgirl BRONZE, Ijamsville, Maryland

My work has been modified to fit your brains. :)

I read this book last year (8th grade) and really liked it, it's a very good book.

Noel F. said...
My gifted and talented teacher said I should read it and I only got to the part where he almost kills his friend out of anger. Then for some reason I stopped reading it. lol

ShernayB. DIAMOND, Southfield, Michigan

"Some things will never change"---Tupac

This really is a great book. I read it in 9th grade. I thought it was really awesome, because Ben Carson is from Detroit. Just like me. I could relate to many things he spoke about, with major differences. I didn't see the movie, but I'm sure it would be great.

Good review by the way.

T>A>B said...
This is a wonderful book......inspirational and gives hope.....Kudos! I loved it very much! it was mwaaaz! out of this world!

on Jul. 27 2009 at 5:32 am
Micheline BRONZE, Lawrenceville, Georgia
i saw the movie and its awesome!!..Good review btw

Gabrielle Lively, Farmington, West Virginia
I thought the book review was good and i would recomend people to read the book