The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls | Teen Ink

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

By girlwithflowersinherhair BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
girlwithflowersinherhair BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

The Glass Castle is an engaging tale of Jeannette Walls’s fascinating childhood. Starting off at the age of three, until her adulthood. It captures her unique adventure of growing up, poverty stricken, with her family and their nomadic ways, her mother an artist, her father an entrepreneur, her two sisters Lori and Maureen, and he brother Brian. 
I enjoyed this book. It was slightly difficult to read, because it is a little repetitive, but it was effective for getting the point across of what her life was actually like. As a reader it challenged myself to focus on the book. What I took away from this book overall is even when you are at rock bottom, it is still possible to lift yourself back up, if you try hard enough.
The memoir is written first person. Walls uses a repetitive writing style, such as the reasonableness of her mother, like when Jeanette and Brian found a diamond, wanting to sell it to get a few extra bucks. “So what’s it worth?’ I asked. ‘That doesn’t matter,’ Mom said. ‘How come?’ ‘Because we’re not selling it.’” The book goes on and on about the mother’s irresponsible ways, as well as her father’s, and the poor living conditions.
I would give this book three point five out of five, because it displays important values and lessons such as it will always get better. It will challenge you as a reader, because of its repetitive ways, I myself considered abandoning the book several times, but the book is worth it in the end.