The Book Thief by Markus Zusak | Teen Ink

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

By ZoeElsa GOLD, Kamas, Utah
ZoeElsa GOLD, Kamas, Utah

Portrayed in the writing style of Markus Zusak, courage and cowardice have never been more intriguing and emotional. The Book Thief is a journey of life and love, family and friendship, sacrifice and war. It makes you reflect and reappraise your opinions. Set in the 1940's, little Liesel Meminger's life is turned upside down, and you with her on this wild journey of fate.
  To begin to grasp the book, you need to know the narrator. The Book Thief is inspiringly narrated by death itself; with fantastical excerpts from Liesel's own writing. Death is portrayed, not as the typical grim reaper type, but as an emotional being, with thoughts, feelings, and a boss; war. Death is constantly giving his personal insights on what is happening. Some found him irksome and vexatious. As for me, I found his commentary insightful and a breath fresh air to my own, stale views. Other stereotypes, such as Germans, are broken as well.
  In the book, you get to observe Germans not as stereotypical bullies, but as what they could have been and what they were, not just who we thought they were. You see kindheartedness and disquiet from many Germans and other characters. Soon after you start into The Book Thief, you get introduced to Max. Max is a Jew, with a whole new outlook on the war and all-in-all, life in general. He shows us about life as a refugee in a basement and during war. Liesel and Max soon form a deep bond of friendship. They share their ambitions, their aspirations, and fears with each other. Max soon learns to love Liesel's childlike point of view and wonder.
  Though it is historical fiction, this book shows us love in many ways, and not just through Max and Liesel. The diverse love of Rosa and Hans is just one of the examples. Rosa and Hans are Liesel's foster family, with a relationship unlike any other. Though Rosa is stern with Liesel and Hans, she loves them both exceedingly. In the book it says, "But she did love Liesel Meminger." Another divergent relationship, is between Liesel and Rudy Steiner. Rudy is her next door neighbor, best friend, and partner in crime. They have many misadventures, in which Rudy asks for a kiss. Though it is years later, their feelings still create a spark in your heart for them. Sometimes to love is the most courageous thing we can do.
This theme of courage and cowardice is one of the themes I love in this book. Liesel stands up for herself, while Papa doesn't join the Nazi party. In the book it says, " 'Coward! I'm the coward?!'"Hans Jr., Papa's son, joins the Nazi's not because he is brave, but because he is scared. Rudy will talk back, while a man will hang himself. Fearing life and standing up to it are both stupendous examples of courage and cowardice. There are so many opposing people and feelings in this book. The Book Thief truly makes you think and reconsider many things, though it is a fictional world with our history in it.
  The author, Markus Zusak, in reality, knows quite a bit about how life would be like in World War two. According to an interview with Zusak, his inspiration for writing the book was the stories his mother used to tell him about her life in Germany and during the war. Zusak's father was Austrian, and he told him stories as well about his own life (Steppenwolf.org). He wrote some fiction when he was younger, but it is my observation that this book is the pinnacle of his career. Zusak is a very respectable and successful author. I would recommend checking out his other books.
In summation, The Book Thief is a journey that completely changes your outlook. It is full of twists and turns, love and hate, and courage and cowardice. The theme of love and friendship is also a large part of the story. This book is an emotional trip you don't want to miss. Though it is not for all, I thought it was fantastic and definitely worth reading. To conclude, you should read The Book Thief because it is so emotional and flabbergasting; it is a must read.