Ninth Ward by Jewell Parker Rhodes | Teen Ink

Ninth Ward by Jewell Parker Rhodes

March 14, 2016
By galejohnsonn BRONZE, Norridge, Illinois
galejohnsonn BRONZE, Norridge, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Ninth Ward” written by Jewell Parker Rhodes, is a realistic fiction novel based during the time of the devastating Hurricane Katrina. This book is filled with valuable lessons, symbols, amazing characters, and real life struggles anyone can be faced with. The main character, Lanesha, is faced with a fast-moving, destructive hurricane that could potentially destroy her family and the life she knows and loves. On her journey of ups and downs, she is joined by her loving caretaker Mama Ya-Ya and her best friends TaShon and Spot.
    Lanesha is simple, shy girl with an amazing gift. She can see ghosts just like her caretaker Mama Ya-Ya, who can also predict the future. Only a few days after Lanesha’s 12th birthday her caretaker Mama Ya-Ya predicts that there is a destructive storm coming towards their home in New Orleans. Lanesha automatically takes charge and immediately starts to prepare for all the hardships her family and friends will face. She still makes time for school, and she even befriends a small, shy boy named TaShon that she protected when he was being bullied. When the storm finally hits, she jumps to protect Mama Ya-Ya and she takes shelter in her bathtub. They survive day one of the hurricane, but it is now time to get through the aftermath. Lanesha brings food, water, batteries, and other necessities to the attack where she, TaShon, Spot (her puppy), and Mama Ya-Ya will hideout. The lake water floods into her house at a crazy rate and Lanesha has no clue how she will get through it, but she knows that will keep her head up.
The book is told in Lanesha’s point of view, which further shows us the emotions and struggle happening throughout the book. You can also find out more of the life lessons that Mama Ya-Ya shows her, like keeping her head up in the hardest times and always having hope even when it’s hard to find. She gives off the bravest and strongest moods at some points, but then the saddest and most hopeless moods at other times. She lights up her entire town of the Ninth Ward with her amazing personality and responsible character.
    This is my absolute favorite book, hands down. Rhodes is an incredibly moving author and writes about real life events with big twists. It’s fun to read, and you’re always interested in everything that’s going on throughout the entire 217 pages. She adds the pain the town is going through and the adversity that they have to face along their journey. But, she also includes the fun Lanesha and Mama Ya-Ya has together. From the sound her tennis shoes make when they hit the concrete, to the roaring wind outside her window during the hurricane, this story takes every emotion you have and twists it. You should read this book because it can help find out what real pain and devastation can feel like, and how you can keep it together when it feels like you’re being torn in half.
    The book “Ninth Ward” is a hurricane of emotions. It is definitely worth the read, and you’ll finish the book with a smile and a new perspective on everything. It leaves an amazing impression on you, that teaches you so much about how to handle some tough situations like a champ.  The dialect and setting really help to set a certain mood throughout the story that really made me feel like I was in the middle of New Orleans preparing for a hurricane. If you’re planning on reading this book, I think that you should prepare to be amazed by the various adventures, the heartbreak, stories, and the devastation. One question that lingered in my mind while reading this book is, what does fate have in store for me?