Poison by Bridget Zinn | Teen Ink

Poison by Bridget Zinn

May 25, 2016
By itsme1 BRONZE, Salem, Utah
itsme1 BRONZE, Salem, Utah
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“How you look isn’t about the face your were born with, it’s what you do with it.” This is just one of many great quotes by Bridget Zinn, the author of Poison. Bridget Zinn created Poison because it was what she wanted to read but wasn’t able to find.

Unfortunately ‘Poison’ is the only book that she was able to write before, she lost her battle with cancer.

This story takes place in the kingdom of Mohr, where the main character, Kyra,  has a conflict with herself because she needs to kill her best friend, Ariana, due to her seeing a vision of Ariana destroying the kingdom. Another important character of this book would be the pig named Rosie. Rosie was given to Kyra from Arlo ( leader of all criminals) to help her track down the princess. Next would be Fred and his dog named Langley. He claims to be a traveler. He meets Kyra when she is crossing the river and almost drowns. They later meet again when Kyra saves Fred from trolls with her magic potions. Lastly, would be Ariana the soon to be princess. She is obligated by her father to get married, so she can get magically bound to her land.

Here is a short summary of the plot. Kyra is a sixteen year old girl, skilled potion master, who is the only one who knows her kingdom is on the edge of destruction. Which also means that she is the only one who can stop it before it’s too late and all the people she cares about and the kingdom get hurt. Doing what she thinks is right, she attempts to kill, the future ruler, which also happens to be her best friend. Although she runs through many obstacles like almost being eaten by a witch, drowning, and not being able to move due to her enchantment necklace, she won’t stop until she has defeated the imposter and saves the kingdom from evil.

My thoughts regarding ‘Poison’ are that I really enjoyed it because this book was not only fantastic, but it also had a bit of romance, comedy, and mystery behind it. For example Kyra falling in love, and how they give each character such a great sense of humor/confidence, and also how you have to find out who Ariana really is which is the greatest mystery of all. “I’m glad you escaped, Kyra.”- Fred. This is one of the last quotes that Fred told Kyra before the book ended. With Kyra and Fred give one another kiss.  Although in the beginning I thought it was going to be a typical book, where Kyra was just going to kill her best friend and be on the run for the rest of her life, it wasn’t. I like how it kept me on a loop with the story unfolding bit by bit, and just when I thought I knew what would happen. Bam! Things changed. Even though I loved how the book ended I would have liked it if they changed the beginning because I felt that it was too slow. I would have also liked it if Kyra would have more obstacles after she got the poisons. Beside all that I loved how this book sent a very powerful message and that would be never give up, even if what you’re trying to do is difficult.


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 0 comments.